[Opensim-announcement] NCSRR Visiting Scholars Program, OpenSim Video Tutorials, and Other News

opensim-announcement at simtk.org opensim-announcement at simtk.org
Mon Dec 12 11:32:19 PST 2011

Dear OpenSim Community,

We have lots of news to share with you about OpenSim and the National
Center for Simulation in Rehabilitation Research (NCSRR).

*NCSRR Visiting Scholars Program 2012*
We are now accepting applications for the 2012 NCSRR Visiting Scholars
Program. The program is a unique experience that fosters expertise and
collaborations in biomechanical simulations for rehabilitation research. Up
to four individuals will be chosen to visit the NCSRR at Stanford
University for a 10-week period from mid-June to late-August. Each visiting
scholar will receive a $15,000 stipend. During their visits, awardees will
receive training and mentoring to help them reach their research goals.
They will have the opportunity to participate in formal meetings,
discussions with OpenSim experts, and brainstorming sessions with their
fellow visiting scholars to advance their research and the OpenSim project.
The Visiting Scholars Program is intended for faculty members and
postdoctoral fellows with exceptional skills in computer science,
simulation, and biomechanics who will advance the field of movement science
through the development of new software, biomechanical models, and
outstanding research.

Applications are due on January 17, 2012. Find out more and download
application materials at our
website<http://opensim.stanford.edu/support/scholars.html>
.

*OpenSim YouTube Channel*
We recently launched an OpenSim YouTube
Channel<http://www.youtube.com/user/OpenSimVideos>.
It includes introductory videos about OpenSim, a gallery of research
examples, and two new step-by-step tutorials about using the Scale Tool. We
plan to add more video tutorials in the coming months. Please email us if
you have videos that you would like to share.

*NCSRR Pilot Projects 2011*
We are pleased to announce the winners of the first round of NCSRR Pilot
Project Awards.  The first pilot awardees include the team of James
Wakeling and Allison Arnold from Simon Fraser University and Harvard
University and Thor Besier from the University of Auckland.  We also
offered travel awards to several promising applicants.  Read more at our
website <http://www.stanford.edu/group/opensim/support/pilot.html>.

*OpenSim in the News*
In case you missed our last newsletter, OpenSim is being featured at The
Leonardo <http://www.theleonardo.org/>, a new science and technology museum
in Utah.  Read more about it on the Stanford News
site<http://news.stanford.edu/news/2011/october/opensim-motion-software-102711.html>
or
watch the video about
OpenSim<http://www.stanford.edu/group/opensim/work/index.html>that is
featured at the museum

*OpenSim 2.4 and Community-Contributed Utilities and Models*
In October, we released OpenSim
2.4<https://simtk.org/project/xml/downloads.xml?group_id=91>,
we encourage you to download and try it if you haven't done so already.  We
also created a library of user-contributed utilities and
extensions<https://simtk.org/home/opensim-utils>for OpenSim on SimTK.
Check out what other users are working on and send
us an email if there are OpenSim utilities or extensions that you would
like to share.  This new umbrella project complements the existing repository
of neuromuscular models <https://simtk.org/home/nmblmodels/> on SimTK.

Best Wishes,
Jen Hicks

--