[Opensim-announcement] OpenSim News and Events

opensim-announcement at simtk.org opensim-announcement at simtk.org
Mon Jul 30 09:10:48 PDT 2012

We have lots of OpenSim news to share, an upcoming webinar, and several
other events. See below for more information.

*OpenSim News*

*Submit Your Pilot Project Applications*
The National Center for Simulation in Rehabilitation Research (NCSRR) and
the OpenSim project at Stanford seeks proposals for our pilot project
program. The program awards seed grants to innovative and
meritorious projects that will accelerate the use of simulation in
rehabilitation research. Our intent is to engage rehabilitation research
experts to demonstrate the use of biomechanical simulations in novel areas
and to enhance the OpenSim software for rehabilitation science.
Applications are due August 31. Read more and find application materials on
our website <http://www.stanford.edu/group/opensim/support/pilot.html>.

*Help Us Test OpenSim 3.0 Beta*
We will start beta testing of the next release of OpenSim, version 3.0, in
the coming weeks. The latest release of OpenSim will include live model
editing in the GUI, improved muscle models, scripting in the GUI and
through Matlab, among many other features. Be a beta tester to get an early
look and help us test and improve the software. Sign up
here<https://simtk.org/mailman/listinfo/opensim-testers>
.

*Try A New Simulation Example - Drop Landing with an Ankle Orthosis*
We've created a new example for OpenSim users. The example uses a muscle
reflex controller to simulate drop landings under several different
conditions. You can experiment with adding load, changing the drop height,
and adding high and low stiffness orthoses to the model. Find the example
and instructions
here<http://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:8080/display/OpenSim/OpenSim+Exercise%3A+Evaluate+Ankle+Inversion+Injury+Risk+During+a+Drop+Landing>
.

*Sam Hamner and OpenSim Featured in an NBC Learn Video*
Sam Hamner and his running simulation work are featured in a video titled
"The Biomechanics Of Usain Bolt". This is part of a series called "Science
of the Summer Olympics" that was created by NBC Learn and NSF to get middle
and high schoolers more interested in science and engineering. Watch the
video here<http://science360.gov/obj/tkn-video/cdedae82-68c6-4ebf-b834-e9c6cc46e4e5/biomechanics-usain-bolt>
.

*Upcoming Events*
*
*
*August 22-24, 2012: Advanced User Workshop at Stanford *
We will hold a three-day on campus workshop for advanced OpenSim users. The
workshop is full, but stay tuned for future workshops. We will also share
slides and other materials online, after the workshop. Read more
here<http://www.stanford.edu/group/opensim/support/event_details.html?id=43&title=OpenSim-Advanced-User-Workshop>
.

*August 28, 2012: Webinar: Muscle Models in OpenSim 3.0 - Theory and
Application*
Matt Millard will describe the advantages and limitations of new and past
muscle models in OpenSim, providing users with the knowledge to choose a
muscle model that best suits their application. Find out more and register
here<http://www.stanford.edu/group/opensim/support/event_details.html?id=47>
.

*September 12-15, 2012: Instructional Course at AACPDM*
The OpenSim team will lead a two hour instructional course, "Simulation of
Human Movement and Gait Pathology: An Introduction to OpenSim for the
Clinician" at the American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental
Medicine Annual Meeting in Toronto, Ontario. Read more
here<http://www.stanford.edu/group/opensim/support/event_details.html?id=45&title=Instructional-Course-at-AACPDM>
.

--
*Jennifer Hicks, Ph.D.*