[Opensim-announcement] News, Job Openings, and Upcoming Events

opensim-announcement at simtk.org opensim-announcement at simtk.org
Thu May 3 08:37:23 PDT 2012

We have lots of OpenSim related news to share, two open positions, and
several upcoming events. See below for more information.

*OpenSim News*
*
*
*2012 Visiting Scholars selected*
The NCSRR will host its second Visiting Scholars Program this summer. We
selected four exceptional candidates from a highly competitive pool of
applicants. The 2012 Scholars include Katrina Easton, Dominic Farris, John
Rogers, and Bahar Sharafi.  Read more about the scholars and their projects
here<http://www.stanford.edu/group/opensim/support/scholars.html#2012Scholars>
.

*Pilot Project awarded to Jeff Reinbolt*
Jeff Reinbolt from the University of Tennesse has been awarded an NCSRR
Pilot Project Award for his project "Software for Functional Inverse
Kinematics and Scaling". Read more about the pilot project program
here<http://www.stanford.edu/group/opensim/support/pilot.html>
.

*OpenSim and NASA help launch eighth-grade science project*
Three Florida middle schoolers are headed to the 2012 American Society of
Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Summer Bioengineering Conference in Puerto
Rico. The eight graders used OpenSim to estimate the effects of
microgravity on exercising astronauts in outer space, on the moon, and on
Mars. Read the fully story
here<http://simbios.stanford.edu/PressReleases/2012apr_opensim.htm>
.

*New OpenSim Wiki Support Site draws 700+ visitors*
Over 700 OpenSim users have visited our new wiki-based support site since
we launched less than a month ago. The site hosts our user's and
developer's guide, examples, tutorials, and other teaching materials. We
encourage you to visit the site if you haven't already. Please email us if
you'd like to start contributing to the wiki. OpenSim Support Site Landing
Page <http://www.stanford.edu/group/opensim/support/index.html>

*Job Openings*
*
*
*OpenSim Postdoctoral Scholar*
The OpenSim team is searching for an outstanding individual to study
musculoskeletal dynamics and develop new methods to simulate and analyze
human movement. Read the full posting
here<http://biomch-l.isbweb.org/threads/23488-OpenSim-Postdoctoral-Fellowship-at-Stanford-University>
.

*OpenSim Software Developer*
The OpenSim team is looking for a C++ and Java software developer to join
us in advancing our state-of-the-art musculoskeletal simulation software,
at both the API and GUI levels. Read the full job posting
here<http://bit.ly/HnbrZw>
.

*Upcoming Events*
*
*
*August 22-24, 2012: Advanced User Workshop at Stanford *
Applications are now available for our three-day on campus workshop for
advanced OpenSim users. Applicants must complete a project proposal and
short application form. We are offering travel awards to top applicants. Read
more here<http://www.stanford.edu/group/opensim/support/event_details.html?id=43&title=OpenSim-Advanced-User-Workshop>
.

*September 12-15, 2012: Instructional Course at AACPDM*
The OpenSim team will lead a two hour instructional course, "Simulation of
Human Movement and Gait Pathology: An Introduction to OpenSim for the
Clinician" at the American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental
Medicine Annual Meeting in Toronto, Ontario. Read more
here<http://www.stanford.edu/group/opensim/support/event_details.html?id=45&title=Instructional-Course-at-AACPDM>
.

--
Jennifer L. Hicks, Ph.D.