[Opensim-announcement] Workshop at CMBBE, OpenSim on the NIH Directors Blog, and More

Announcements of the availability of OpenSim updates and resources opensim-announcement at simtk.org
Wed Aug 5 14:09:09 PDT 2015

*Join the OpenSim Workshop at CMBBE in Montreal on September 3*
*Title: OpenSim for Muscle-Driven Multibody Dynamics and Control: Overview
and Hands On Example*
Ian Stavness, Matt DeMers, and James Dunne are leading a workshop at the
International Symposium on Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical
Engineering (CMBBE) in Montreal, Canada. The hands-on workshop will show
users how to perform forward dynamic simulations of movement that include
contact modeling and muscle stretch reflexes. Learn more about the event
and find out how to register.
<http://web.stanford.edu/group/opensim/support/event_details.html?id=133>

*OpenSim featured in the NIH Director's blog*
Our video, “OpenSim: Improving Treatments for Movement Disorders through
Computer Simulations," was recently featured on the blog of NIH Director
Francis Collins. Watch the video.
<http://directorsblog.nih.gov/2015/07/30/cool-videos-better-computation-better-hope-for-movement-disorders/>

*Emel Demircan, Matt Millard, and Kate Saul become newest OpenSim Fellows*
We are pleased to announce our newest OpenSim Fellows: Emel Demircan, Matt
Millard, and Kate Saul. This honor from the National Center for Simulation
in Rehabilitation Research (NCSRR) recognizes a strong commitment to the
OpenSim community and a deep expertise in biomechanical modeling and
simulation. Read more about the current fellows
<http://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:8080/display/OpenSim/OpenSim+Fellows>
 and learn how to apply
<http://web.stanford.edu/group/opensim/support/fellows.html>.

*Download our newest software release, OpenSim 3.3*
OpenSim 3.3 was released last month and is available for download
<https://simtk.org/project/xml/downloads.xml?group_id=91>. The release
includes new examples and scripts that make it even easier for you to get
started and help you evaluate the quality of your simulations. Based on
your feedback, we have also enhanced OpenSim to automate more of your
workflow. Our website includes a full list of new features and upgrade notes
<http://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:8080/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=12222533>
.

*OpenSim community makes an impact at ISB *
OpenSim was featured in over 50 abstracts at the XXV Congress of the
International Society of Biomechanics (ISB) in Glasgow, Scotland in July.
Topics ranged from analyzing exoskeletons and prostheses to optimization
techniques for muscle-driven simulation to sports performance. OpenSim
Fellow Katherine Steele was also awarded the David Winter Young
Investigator Award. If you missed the event, we plan to feature several
speakers in our upcoming webinars. See a full list of abstracts here
<http://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:8080/display/OpenSim/OpenSim+Featured+in+Talks+at+ISB+2015>
.

*OpenSim gets high marks as a multibody system simulator*
A recent study from Monica Reggiani’s group at the University of Padua
demonstrates that OpenSim <http://opensim.stanford.edu/> and Simbody
<https://simtk.org/home/simbody>, its multibody dynamics engine, generate
highly accurate simulations of mechanical systems. OpenSim was evaluated
using the Multi-Body System (MBS) Benchmark, which consists of five systems
ranging from a simple pendulum to an over-constrained system of five rods
and six rotational joints (Bricard’s mechanism). This work was presented at
the 2015 European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and
Engineering (ECCOMAS) Thematic Conference on Multibody Dynamics (see page
1572 of the Proceedings
<http://www.multibody2015.org/frontal/img/Ebook_Multibody_2015.pdf>). You
can learn more and download the code that implements the benchmarks in
OpenSim at https://simtk.org/home/mbs_bos.

*Help test the new version of Simtk.org*
We’ve spent the past year overhauling Simtk.org to bring you a
modern-looking site with a more streamlined workflow. We are looking for
beta testers to help us test the new site and provide feedback. Sign up for
our beta-testing mailing list
<https://simtk.org/mailman/listinfo/website-betatesters> to help out and to
get a sneak peek of the new site.

--