[Opensim-announcement] Workshop at Stanford, Webinar, Pilot Winners, and Visiting Scholars Application

Jennifer Hicks jenhicks at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 31 14:02:52 PST 2017

*Apply to the Next Advanced User Workshop at Stanford **March 28-30, 2017
in Stanford, CA*
We are now accepting applications for a 3-day, project-based workshop on
the Stanford University campus. This workshop is intended for advanced
OpenSim users and developers who want to work directly with the OpenSim
staff on specific research projects. Applicants are expected to have a
research project underway, with preliminary results. We highly encourage
collaborators to participate in the workshop together. The workshop is
free, but space is limited. Applications will be accepted on a rolling
basis until the workshop is full. Read more and learn how to apply
<http://opensim.stanford.edu/support/event_details.html?id=175&title=Advanced-User-Workshop-at-Stanford>

*Webinar: Using Musculoskeletal Modeling to Study Human Bipedalism
Evolution**Tuesday, February 14 at 10 a.m. Pacific Standard Time*
Brian Umberger from the University of Massachusetts Amherst will present
his work on developing an OpenSim model of the chimpanzee. He will describe
how he is using the model to understand the influence of skeletal
morphology on locomotion from an evolutionary perspective. Learn more and
register <http://opensim.stanford.edu/support/event_details.html?id=177>

*NCSRR/OpenSim Pilot Project Winners Selected*
We got an outstanding response to our call for proposals this year. Given
the high caliber of the applicant pool, we carefully reviewed the
applications with the NCSRR Scientific Advisory Board, following NIH
guidelines for conflicts of interest.

We selected four projects for NCSRR Outstanding Research Grants (full Pilot
Awards):

   - Peter Adamczyk, University of Wisconsin - Madison: Evaluating robotic
   controllers for targeted cycling therapy
   - B.J. Fregly, University of Florida: Computational design of fastFES
   rehabilitation to improve post-stroke gait
   - Zachary Lerner, Northern Arizona University: Predictive simulations
   for robotic-aided rehabilitation of crouch gait
   - Katherine Saul and Matthew Fisher, North Carolina State University:
   Integrated iterative musculoskeletal modeling to study growth and function

We also granted a dozen Outstanding Researcher Awards and Travel Awards,
which include funds to attend an OpenSim workshop.

   - Outstanding Researcher Award Winners: Aaron Fox and Glen Lichtwark,
   Gerald Harris, Ross Miller, Massimo Sartori, David Saxby
   - Travel Award Winners: Ashish Deshpande, Monica Reggiani, Wasim Malik,
   Sandra Shefelbine, James Sulzer, Mariska Wesseling, Sebastian Wolf

See the full list of 2016 Pilot Project Program Projects
<http://opensim.stanford.edu/support/pilot.html#Awardees> on our website.
Congratulations to all the winners!

*NCSRR/OpenSim Visiting Scholars Program Applications Due Friday*
*Summer 2017 at Stanford UniversityApplications are due on February 3, 2017*
The National Center for Simulation in Rehabilitation Research (NCSRR) is
now accepting applications for the 2017 Visiting Scholars Program. The
program is a unique experience that fosters expertise and collaborations in
biomechanical simulations for rehabilitation research. Up to four
individuals will be chosen to visit the NCSRR at Stanford University for a
5-week period during the summer of 2017. Read more and learn how to apply
<http://opensim.stanford.edu/support/scholars.html>

--
*Jennifer Hicks, Ph.D.*
Director of Data Science | Mobilize Center <http://mobilize.stanford.edu>