Recurring Meeting of Cleveland Clinic Core Team

Date: June 10, 2014

Time: 10:30 AM EST

Means: In person meeting


  1. Ahmet Erdemir
  2. Jason Halloran
  3. Craig Bennetts
  4. Snehal Chokhandre
  5. Katie Stemmer
  6. Robb Colbrunn
  7. Tara Bonner


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
  2. Discuss tissue testing progress.
  3. Discuss joint testing preparations.
  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
  5. Other.

Immediate Action Items:


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
    • Jason uploaded the singular value decomposition script as well as the approach for assessment of patella registration accuracy.
    • Tara updated the description for preparation of the extensor mechanism. Related, the specimen preparation page needs to be cleaned up and updated. Craig will take a look and provide feedback for next week.
    • For tissue testing room, the eye wash station is still in process. Snehal is following up this issue with Izzy (from Department of Biomedical Engineering). She will start ordering supplies to stock up the tissue testing lab. Ahmet talked with the LRI Computing Core about the data collection computers connected to the testing systems. They can be installed on the network without virus software if documentation is provided from the manufacturer that virus software should not be running.
    • In regard to issues with tissue testing system, Snehal wrote to Martin Garon of Biomomentum Inc. In additional data collection trials the machine was tested in tensile mode without any sample and using foam samples, artifacts in displacement data were not noticed. This issue may only be present in stiffer samples (tissues). Martin updated the data collection software; it is anticipated that this will resolve displacement reporting artifacts during tensile testing. Snehal will try the updated software once installed. Concerning down sampling, Ahmet will talk with Martin about practical approaches to accommodate it.
    • Snehal has some upcoming skin/tissue testing, which provides the opportunity to further troubleshoot and streamline the procedures. Snehal and Craig will also write a python script to read and plot tissue testing files.
    • Snehal made an illustration of the tissue thickness measurement system design. The summary is on the specifications wiki page for experimentation on tissues. The discussion centered around whether to move the camera or the platform in order to obtain a known/acceptable position of the specimen in the view. Robb said that he has a positioning hardware that may work nicely for this application. A camera similar to the one used on the tissue testing system can be used for this application. Snehal will explore the options, including off the shelf cameras, and report back.
    • Craig provided the draft for the modeling setup/relationship chart. It covers the hierarchy of tissue components, which includes interactions, e.g., tie, contact, and actuator constraints. Deformable and rigid bodies were included. The related specifications for the modeling graph (or “tree”) should also be created. Craig will start a specification page for this item. Katie will look at Craig's graph and outline the connections she needs for her modeling efforts of cruciate ligaments.
    • Robb still needs to provide processing tools to move between “right knee abstraction” and “physical representation” for knee testing. Robb will be added as a member on the Midas platform.
  2. Discuss tissue testing progress.
    • See above for relevant discussions of immediate actions items from the last meeting. The tissue testing protocols should be reviewed. Tara was assigned this task for the next week.
  3. Discuss joint testing preparations.
    • Robb gave an update on the status of the motors for the robot. The original motors of the robot were over designed when compared to their reported braking specifications. The new motors, while having the same braking specifications, do not necessarily have sufficient braking power, which needs to be higher than their design specification. The current solution is to return the robot to its original state with the knowledge that the breaks in older motors have the potential to fail. The manufacturer is working with the BioRobotics Core to get the robot running. The BioRobotics Core requested funds for 2015 to purchase a new robot. Yet, allocation of these funds is not certain. If and when allocated, significant investment in time and labor will be necessary to get the new system up and running.

  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
    • Action items were discussed and agreed on; see Immediate Action Items above.
  5. Other.
    • Open Knee(s) regular Tuesday meeting for next week will be moved to Wednesday because of a visit from an outside research sponsor. Tomorrow's modeling meeting will also be included in next week's general meeting, which will have a focus on modeling specifications since Robb and Tara will not be able to attend.
    • Craig brought up purchasing Rhino in order to generate NURBS (parametric) surfaces from STL surfaces, i.e., segmentation results from 3D Slicer. The team will consider this acquisition.

RecurringMeetings/2014-06-10 (last edited 2016-05-04 22:09:48 by localhost)