Recurring Meeting of the Advisory Board

Date(s): May 26-27, 2016

Due to scheduling conflicts, the group meeting with the Advisory Board members were scheduled on an individual basis with each member. Please refer to Meeting Minutes for more details.

Progress Report

Project Specific Aims

Project Infrastructure

Project Contact

Advisory Board

Progress Period

Development Team during Progress Period

See for full details on the project team.

Goals of Progress Period

Please also refer to previous meeting minutes of the Advisory Board at RecurringMeetings/2015-11-19. It should be noted that the timeline of activities has deviated from the original proposal, i.e., see the Roadmap and the proposed timeline of the proposal in GrantInformation/proposal.pdf.

Activities of Progress Period

Details of activities can be found in past meeting minutes of various teams at RecurringMeetings.

Plans for Next Progress Period (November 20, 2015 - May 2016)

It should be noted that the timeline of activities has deviated from the original proposal, i.e., see the Roadmap and the proposed timeline of the proposal in GrantInformation/proposal.pdf.

Meeting Minutes

Date, Time, Means:


  1. Ahmet Erdemir (Cleveland Clinic)
  2. Jack Andrish (Cleveland Clinic)
  3. Morgan Jones (Cleveland Clinic)
  4. Paul Saluan (Cleveland Clinic)
  5. Yasin Dhaher (Northwestern University)
  6. Trent Guess (University of Missouri)
  7. Rami Korhonen (University of Eastern Finland)


  1. Progress update, see progress report at:
  2. Recap of previous meeting minutes, see meeting minutes at:
  3. Action items for following meeting.
  4. Other.

Immediate Action Items:

See notes for details.


  1. Due to scheduling conflicts, a series of meetings were conducted to inform the Advisory Board about Open Knee(s) activities and get feedback.
  2. Progress update.
    • Ahmet had separate calls and meetings with individual members of the Advisory Board. In each of these, he provided a summary of progress and plans for the last year of funding period. He emphasized completion and dissemination of anatomical imaging and joint testing data on eight knees. He described the challenges to minimize uncertainties in tissue mechanical testing. He noted that the next year would be the last year of funding and the work will focus on tissue testing and development of models. He also mentioned future plans for expansion of Open Knee(s) work through different funding mechanisms, i.e. he recently applied to Burroughs Wellcome Fund for verification and validation, and regulation of Open Knee(s). He updated the participants about the status of data papers and asked for contributions from physicians. Other highlights from the individual meetings are noted below.
    • Paul and Ahmet discussed case studies where modeling and simulation can help the mental analysis of the physician. Paul will send some case examples for promotion of modeling and simulation in the clinics. Paul and Ahmet discussed Open Knee(s) future, in the short term to have virtual specimens to let clinicians answer research problems and in the long term to have models and strategies for personalization and intervention to let clinicians explore the potential impact of their decision making and to support their mental models. Paul also mentioned about the possibility to send medical students this summer to observe and contribute to Open Knee(s) work.
    • Yasin and Ahmet talked about MCL segmentation and the ligament's stabilizing effect on meniscus. Yasin was interested in a study to quantify uncertainty in segmentation process, i.e., a multi-center project supported by the undergraduate programs where randomized and blinded image can be sent to groups for segmentation. Ahmet mentioned the Knee Segmentation Challenge and also informed Yasin about the knee data disseminated by Kevin Shelburne.
    • Ahmet asked Morgan how he would like to see the models help his clinical work. They discussed funding opportunities, e.g. Burroughs Wellcome Fund., and work done by Neil Segal and Don Anderson, which may be relevant to Morgan's research interests.
    • Rami and Ahmet discussed Petri Tanska's visit to Cleveland Clinic. Petri will be finishing his doctoral work first. There is a possibility to host him as a post-doc or a visiting fellow. Ahmet recommended Rami to start the process soon. Ahmet will also check with his department about the necessary steps to accommodate Petri's visit. Rami asked about the in situ strains and ligament slack lengths, specifically about their influence on patellofemoral joint contact pressures. Ahmet noted that the patellofemoral joint contact pressures will likely influenced by the slack lengths of the joint's ligaments, e.g. MPFL. In addition, changing the tibiofemoral joint ligament slack lengths may affect the resultant equilibrium of that joint joint, which may also affect the patellofemoral joint kinematics. Rami also mentioned an upcoming EU funded program to recruit doctoral students from abroad. Ahmet will spread the word.
    • Trent informed Ahmet about his involvement with an ORS group focused on meniscus. He is interested in building a meniscus library. Ahmet recommended that he may be able to consolidate data from different sources. Trent also wondered if contact pressures in the tibiofemoral joint contact were collected. Ahmet mentioned that that was not part of the testing protocol.
    • Jack asked about tracking of downloads by users. Ahmet responded that provides the infrastructure to collect this information.

  3. Recap of previous meeting minutes.
    • The discussions mainly focused on progress and future plans (see item above).
  4. Action items for following meeting.
    • See Immediate Action Items above.
  5. Other.
    • Refer to notes above for the agenda item on progress update.

RecurringMeetings/2016-05-26 (last edited 2016-12-12 14:42:21 by aerdemir)