External Forces for Joint Moments

SCONE is a software tool for predictive simulations of biomechanical movement. It uses OpenSim for modeling and simulation, and performs optimization using various control strategies, including feed-forward control, proprioceptic feedback control, and bal
Francesca Santini

External Forces for Joint Moments

Post by Francesca Santini » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:52 am

Hi,

I have a question on how to calculate the joint moments in OpenSim from a simulation of Scone. I have loaded the .sto file in OpenSim, and I am using the Inverse Dynamics tool. I am not sure what are the external loads to add. In the .sto file, there are the right and left leg grf, normalized, the grm and the foot forces and moments.

Until now, I added both legs normalized grf, as point forces on the cop, and grm, is that correct? Is it correct to select 'applied to ground', 'force expressed in ground' and 'point expressed in ground'? Do I need to add the foot force and moment too?

Thank you in advance!

Francesca
Attachments
image002.png
External forces to add in OpenSim Inverse Dynamics tool
image002.png (33.06 KiB) Viewed 337 times

Kirsten Veerkamp

Re: External Forces for Joint Moments

Post by Kirsten Veerkamp » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:12 am

Hi Francesca,

Have you tried running the tool without adding external loads? From my experience, when adding the external loads (following instructions from https://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:8 ... amics+Tool for a point force, using the non-normalized GRF), the GRFs were applied twice, resulting in joint moments which were twice as high as they should be. Also, the vertical residuals were around -750, indicating that the GRFs were applied twice. I am not entirely sure why this is, my guess is that the GRF is already taken into account internally when the SCONE output file is loaded.

Let me know how it goes!

Cheers,
Kirsten

Francesca Santini

Re: External Forces for Joint Moments

Post by Francesca Santini » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:25 am

Hi Kirsten,

Thank you for your reply! I have tried without adding external loads and the resulting joint moments are in the correct range. I agree with you when you say the GRF is already taken into account then.

Cheers :)

Francesca