Model appears weird in Scone

SCONE is a software tool for predictive simulations of biomechanical movement. It uses OpenSim for modeling and simulation, and performs optimization using various control strategies, including feed-forward control, proprioceptic feedback control, and bal
Mritula Chandrasekaran

Model appears weird in Scone

Post by Mritula Chandrasekaran » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:54 am

OpensimModel.png
OpensimModel.png (346.64 KiB) Viewed 273 times
Hi,
I have a customized model with 14 markers. I want to use scone to simulate this model for a specified amount of time i.e 2secs. When I open my customized model in Opensim3, it looks proper but when I open it in Scone, It appears distorted, the whole upper body is disfigured. Can someone help me on how to overcome this?
Many Thanks!
The basic model is an Opensim3 Model
Attachments
SconeModel.png
SconeModel.png (199.41 KiB) Viewed 273 times

Thomas Geijtenbeek

Re: Model appears weird in Scone

Post by Thomas Geijtenbeek » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:41 am

It seems the geometry files are missing. Be sure to copy all .vtp files of your model to the SCONE geometry folder (see Tools -> Preferences to see which folder that is). Check the "Messages" window to see which files are missing.

Also, I couldn't help notice you're using a model based on Rajagopal et al. This has two issues:
  • The model is 3D, but the Controller you're using (ControllerGH2010.scone) only works for planar (2D) models.
  • The model uses wrapping surfaces to define the muscle geometry, which are extremely slow in OpenSim. As a result, you cannot use OpenSim models with wrapping surfaces for predictive simulations.

Mritula Chandrasekaran

Post by Mritula Chandrasekaran » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:53 am

Hi Thomas,
Thanks for your help. The geometry files inclusion helped in properly viewing my model in Scone.

1. I have 2D keypoints data, how can I effectively use them for simulation. In specific how can I scale an Opensim model using only 2D data? Is this possible?

2. Is there anyother full body model that is compatible with scone, which I can use to scale and then simulate.

3. I dont understand what do you mean by " The model uses wrapping surfaces". Kindly clarify.

Thanks
Mritula

Thomas Geijtenbeek

Post by Thomas Geijtenbeek » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:02 am

The Human0914.osim model in the SCONE Tutorials is compatible with the ControllerGH2010.scone. I think it should be possible to scale this model in OpenSim, but I have no experience with that (please check the OpenSim forum).

Wrapping surfaces are explained here: https://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu/d ... cle+Editor.

Mritula Chandrasekaran

Post by Mritula Chandrasekaran » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:27 am

But the Human0914 model when opened in Opensim 3 seems like not to stand staright. Is there some error in the model file, or am I doing anything wrong.

Can I directly add Humerus and Ulna to the madel in osim file so I get the upper limbs?
Attachments
Human0914ModelinOpensim.png
Human0914ModelinOpensim.png (363.87 KiB) Viewed 218 times

Thomas Geijtenbeek

Post by Thomas Geijtenbeek » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:36 am

That's just the default pose. You can change that in OpenSim.