Metabolic energy expenditure from EffortMeasure

SCONE is a software tool for predictive simulations of biomechanical movement. It uses OpenSim for modeling and simulation, and performs optimization using various control strategies, including feed-forward control, proprioceptic feedback control, and bal
Rory Turnbull

Metabolic energy expenditure from EffortMeasure

Post by Rory Turnbull » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:06 pm

Hi,

Thank you in advance for answering my question.

Having run an optimisation with the EffortMeasure in the analysis window there is the option Effort.penalty (Example Gait - H0918 - OpenSim4). I was having a look at the effort measure and was wondering if you could clear this up for me.

Is "Effort.penalty" the metabolic energy measure itself or is the penalty highlighting where it is trying to enforce the measure?

If "Effort.penalty" is not the metabolic energy expenditure used to drive the model is there a way to extract this information from the effortMeasure?

Best wishes,
Rory Turnbull

Thomas Geijtenbeek

Re: Metabolic energy expenditure from EffortMeasure

Post by Thomas Geijtenbeek » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:28 am

Effort.penalty is indeed the actual effort at any given instance. The final penalty is either the average effort or the cost of transport ( effort / ( mass * distance ) ), depending on the cost_of_transport setting in the EffortMeasure.