Tracking simulation

SCONE is a software tool for predictive simulations of biomechanical movement. It uses OpenSim for modeling and simulation, and performs optimization using various control strategies, including feed-forward control, proprioceptic feedback control, and bal
Nirav Maniar

Tracking simulation

Post by Nirav Maniar » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:14 pm

Hi Thomas,

Hope you are well and staying safe.

I was just wondering if there is a way to perform a "tracking" simulation in scone, perhaps as a way of generating an informed initial guess?

For example, could I perhaps:

1. use motion capture data to perform inverse kinematics to compute joint angles (in OpenSim, using the same model as what would be used in scone).
2. create a mock "states.sto" file that contains the joint angles and measured ground reaction forces (from a force plate).
3. Maybe use/include a MimicMeasure to try and track the motion and ground reaction forces.

Is the above possible, or do you perhaps have a better alternative to achieve such a goal?

Cheers,
Nirav

Thomas Geijtenbeek

Re: Tracking simulation

Post by Thomas Geijtenbeek » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:31 am

Hi Nirav,

Yes, that's definitely possible -- in fact, the MimicMeasure is designed exactly for that purpose. You can enter the .sto file and select which channels you wish to include using the include_states and exclude_states parameters.

Alternatively, you could do the same with a ScriptMeasure, which is a bit more work at the benefit of giving you extra control.

Let me know if it works out or if you have any issues with it.