My model's upper extremity is falling down

SCONE is a software tool for predictive simulations of biomechanical movement. It uses OpenSim for modeling and simulation, and performs optimization using various control strategies, including feed-forward control, proprioceptic feedback control, and bal
Mritula Chandrasekaran

My model's upper extremity is falling down

Post by Mritula Chandrasekaran » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:25 am

Hi,
I modified the existing Human0914 model to include the upper limbs. I tried running Tutorial 4b_Gait at different speeds. But my modified model falls. I have attached the osim file for reference. Kindly let me know what more should I include. Also, kindly confirm that the added upper extremities go along with 2D planar model.

Thanks
Mritula
Attachments
Human0914armsadded_1.osim
(260.72 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

Thomas Geijtenbeek

Re: My model's upper extremity is falling down

Post by Thomas Geijtenbeek » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:26 am

You added a large number of DOFs to the model without actuating them -- it's only natural that it falls over. Also, many of these new DOFs are non-planar, which makes it extra difficult for the model to maintain balance.

I would strongly advise to stick to the model used in the tutorial. Otherwise, you need to include extra actuators (e.g. muscles) for each of the DOF you add, and also define new control laws for each of those actuators.