Mucle activation and excitation in SCONE

SCONE is a software tool for predictive simulations of biomechanical movement. It uses OpenSim for modeling and simulation, and performs optimization using various control strategies, including feed-forward control, proprioceptic feedback control, and bal
reza khosrozadeh

Mucle activation and excitation in SCONE

Post by reza khosrozadeh » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:30 am

Hi. I have a question. I wonder if the muscle activation results in analysis part are muscles electromyography activity. are they the same?
i mean does muscle activation result of SCONE equal to EMG data?

Thomas Geijtenbeek

Re: Mucle activation and excitation in SCONE

Post by Thomas Geijtenbeek » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:42 am

There is a correlation between muscle activation and normalized EMG, but they are not exactly the same. Please talk to your local EMG expert for more details ;)

reza khosrozadeh

Post by reza khosrozadeh » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:29 am

thanks a lot for answering.
can you please explain what the "activation" output of SCONE is? I have worked with EMG data and normalized EMG but here i got confused that i do correct or not.
And one more question, when I predict a healthy gait, for example for 10 seconds, i want then to just peak out 1 complete gait cycle and compare it with experimental data. how can i do this? I mean peaking out 1 complete gait cycle.

reza khosrozadeh

Post by reza khosrozadeh » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:23 pm

hi Thomas
I know my questions might be simple.
but i need your answers please.

Thomas Geijtenbeek

Post by Thomas Geijtenbeek » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:42 pm

Activation is the muscle activation level between 0 and 1. For gait cycles, you can use the gait analysis plot. Extracting individual cycles must be done manually via the .sto, e.g. by looking at the GRF channel.