Problem opning .xml files

A MATLAB based graphical user interface (GUI) has been developed that uses numerical optimization to determine the optimal task weights for use with the Residual Reduction Algorithm (RRA) in OpenSim.
Abdeali Dhuliyawalla

Problem opning .xml files

Post by Abdeali Dhuliyawalla » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:59 am

Hello,

Has anyone experienced problems when trying to open .xml files with the RRA_OPT_GUI?

I have been trying to load my RRA setup and task file but I haven't been successful so far. I keep getting an error.

These are the messages:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Undefined function or variable 'xml_read'.

Error in RRA_OPT_GUI>Sel_RRA_Setup_Callback (line 579)
RRA_Setup=xml_read([handles.RRA_Folder handles.setup_file],InPref);

Error in gui_mainfcn (line 95)
feval(varargin{:});

Error in RRA_OPT_GUI (line 60)
gui_mainfcn(gui_State, varargin{:});

Error in
matlab.graphics.internal.figfile.FigFile/read>@(hObject,eventdata)RRA_OPT_GUI('Sel_RRA_Setup_Callback',hObject,eventdata,guidata(hObject))
Error while evaluating UIControl Callback
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Abdeali

Abdeali Dhuliyawalla

Re: Problem opning .xml files

Post by Abdeali Dhuliyawalla » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:02 am

Just to add to my previous post. I am using MATLAB R2016b.

Michael Samaan

Post by Michael Samaan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi Abdeali,
It looks like the error that you are receiving is due to the fact that Matlab is unable to find the xml_read function. Make sure that the entire set of xml functions provided with the GUI are added to your current path and try to run the GUI again.

Mike

Poramet Hemarachatanon

Post by Poramet Hemarachatanon » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:42 pm

Hi, Michael Samaan
The cost function value showed ''Nan" during this OPT process. What is meaning? or wrong set up files.

Michael Samaan

Post by Michael Samaan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:12 pm

Hi Poramet,
Sorry for the late reply. Usually when I receive that error, I go back to running RRA through the OpenSim GUI so that I can visually see where the potential error might be. For me, the error that I usually encounter when I see the NaN values for the optimizer is that the model is usually sinking below the force plate or there may be some incorrect kinematics being used in the RRA process. I would use the OpenSim GUI and run RRA to visually observe if this issue is occurring.

Corey Pew

Post by Corey Pew » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:03 pm

Hello!

I'm having a similar error as Poramet that when I run the optimizer it returns NaN values for each iteration. I have used the OpenSim GUI but have not noticed my model translating below the force plates. What sort of errors should I be looking for that might cause this and what is the best remedy? I am using OpenSim 4.0 and Matlab 2019a. Thank you!

Michael Samaan

Post by Michael Samaan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:54 am

Hi Corey,
It could potentially be that the Matlab GUI is unable to find the specific files that you list in your RRA setup xml file. I would list the entire file directory for the various inputs within the RRA setup file and see if that helps.