Torque at a weld joint

The Question and Answer and Support Forum for the 2017 Fall Virtual Workshop.
Erica Beaucage-Gauvreau

Torque at a weld joint

Post by Erica Beaucage-Gauvreau » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if there are reaction torques when two bodies are connected to each other by a weld joint or is it assumed that they are basically one body? For example, if a box body is connected to the hand body using a weld joint, would it be assumed that there is no torque between these two bodies? It seems to be the case looking at the result from Inverse Dynamics?

Thank you,

Erica B-G

Thomas Uchida

Re: Torque at a weld joint

Post by Thomas Uchida » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:49 pm

Three reaction forces and three reaction torques will be generated by a weld joint to prevent relative translation and rotation of the connected bodies.

Erica Beaucage-Gauvreau

Post by Erica Beaucage-Gauvreau » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:26 am

Hi Tom,

Thank you for this answer. I would get those forces and torques in Joint Reaction analysis, is that correct?

I also wanted to make sure I interpret these correctly: if a box body is connected to the hand using a weld joint (lifting!), then that torque would correspond to the torque resulting from lifting the load, correct?

Cheers,

Erica

Martin Hora

Post by Martin Hora » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:05 am

Hi Erica,

Yes, Joint reaction analysis will calculate forces and moments for weld joint - I am using weld joint at tibial midshaft and Joint reaction plugin calculates forces and moments at the midshaft for me.

Martin