Interactions groups for nonbonded forces

The functionality of OpenMM will (eventually) include everything that one would need to run modern molecular simulation.
Saugat Kandel

Interactions groups for nonbonded forces

Post by Saugat Kandel » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:05 pm

I am trying to use the nonbonded forcefield in a vacuum simulation for large protein systems. In my simulations, I keep large domains of the protein system fixed in space, so there is not much point in calculating the nonbonded forces between atoms in the domains themselves. I am looking into creating an interaction group per domain. For now, I am using the NonbondedForce class, using the CutoffNonPeriodic method with the reaction field method for the electrostatic interactions. Since it doesn't look like I can create interaction groups from within the NonbondedForce class, I tried using the CustomNonbondedForce class instead, but didn't see an option there for the reaction field method. Is it possible to use the reaction field method from the CustomNonbondedForce class, or do I have to use the switching function instead?

Peter Eastman

Re: Interactions groups for nonbonded forces

Post by Peter Eastman » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:57 pm

Reaction field is just a minor modification to the form of the potential. It's basically equivalent to a shifting function. So you can easily create a CustomNonbondedForce using that functional form. The formula is given at http://docs.openmm.org/6.2.0/userguide/ ... ith-cutoff.

Peter

Saugat Kandel

Re: Interactions groups for nonbonded forces

Post by Saugat Kandel » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:58 am

I will try that. Thanks!