What is the functional form of the AmoebaOutOfPlaneBendForce?

The functionality of OpenMM will (eventually) include everything that one would need to run modern molecular simulation.
lewis martin

What is the functional form of the AmoebaOutOfPlaneBendForce?

Post by lewis martin » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:26 am

Hi,
I'd like to use the AmoebaOutOfPlaneBendForce to achieve ring planarity. Could someone please explain the functional form this uses? The AMOEBA forcefield paper refers to it as:

"out-of-plane bending was restrained at sp2-hybridized trigonal centers with a Wilson-Decius cross function, 27"
27. Wilson EB, Decius JC, Cross PC. Molecular vibrations: the theory of infrared and raman vibrational spectra

Unfortunately I don't have access to that book. Searching the openmm repo on github turned up 4 results but none were the function definition.

The context is: writing the AutoDock Vina scoring function in OpenMM. This uses internal coordinates (groups of atoms rotate around rotatable bonds) meaning ring planarity gets lost. I saw that Paolo Tosco used the AmoebaOutOfPlaneBendForce when porting MMFF to OpenMM ,which gave me the idea: https://www.cresset-group.com/about/new ... ugh-openm/

Thanks a lot!

Peter Eastman

Re: What is the functional form of the AmoebaOutOfPlaneBendForce?

Post by Peter Eastman » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:52 am

OpenMM implements it with a CustomCompoundBondForce. Here's where the expression for it is defined:

https://github.com/openmm/openmm/blob/e ... 3726-L3734

It's easiest to read the expression from the bottom up. Here's what it does.

1. Compute the cross product of p1-p4 and p3-p4.
2. Normalize it to get a unit vector perpendicular to the p1-p3-p4 plane.
3. Project p2 into the plane.
4. Compute the angle p2-p3-proj, where proj is the projected point.

lewis martin

Re: What is the functional form of the AmoebaOutOfPlaneBendForce?

Post by lewis martin » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:14 am

Brilliant, thanks