flexible water models

The functionality of OpenMM will (eventually) include everything that one would need to run modern molecular simulation.
Daniel Konstantinovsky

flexible water models

Post by Daniel Konstantinovsky » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:51 am

Hi!
Does OpenMM have (or plan to have) an implementation of a flexible water model like SPC/Fw that is compatible with AMBER, etc. force fields for biomolecules? I am considering doing some flexible water MD but I'm not sure I want to switch to something as expensive as AMOEBA right away.
Thank you!

Peter Eastman

Re: flexible water models

Post by Peter Eastman » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:31 am

If you specify "constraints=None, rigidWater=False" in your call to createSystem(), you'll get flexible water. I just checked a couple of the Amber14 water models and verified that they include bond and angle terms, so presumably they were designed to support that.

Daniel Konstantinovsky

Post by Daniel Konstantinovsky » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:26 am

I see. But doing that wouldn't result in any of the "recognized" flexible models without changing charge parameters, etc. in the SPC/E or TIP?P model. Simply letting go of the rigidity seems like a quick-and-dirty way to get flexible water, but I anticipate problems justifying the model...What do you think?

Peter Eastman

Post by Peter Eastman » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:10 pm

You could create your own XML file defining the water model you want. Be aware though that Amber parametrizes the ions for a specific water model, so different water models include different ion parameters. Anything you do will be hard to justify in one way or another. Amber was parametrized with rigid water.

Daniel Konstantinovsky

Post by Daniel Konstantinovsky » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:27 pm

Oh ok, I understand. It seems like AMOEBA is a better choice for protein containing systems with flexible water, but AMBER + flexible water may be useful for trial runs, etc.