RPMD and Energy Minimizer

The functionality of OpenMM will (eventually) include everything that one would need to run modern molecular simulation.
Ali Eltareb

RPMD and Energy Minimizer

Post by Ali Eltareb » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:35 am

Hi,

Can you use the energy minimizer for a PIMD configuration in OpenMM. So I have a configuration where I saved the positions of all the replicas. I then want to perform an energy minimizer to see what the new positions and minimized energy will be. I can do this for a classical system (i.e. using a Langevin Integrator), but when I try this with the RPMD integrator nothing happens. The energy and positions don't change.

I have also tried this with a simple harmonic potential, with two particles (and two beads on each particle) and still nothing happens.

Ali

Peter Eastman

Re: RPMD and Energy Minimizer

Post by Peter Eastman » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:47 am

The energy minimizer adjusts the positions stored in the Context. But RPMDIntegrator stores a whole list of different positions, one for each bead. If you just want to minimize the classical system, you can do that and then copy the positions over to every bead with integrator.setPositions().

Ali Eltareb

Post by Ali Eltareb » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:15 pm

The energy minimizer won't work for a PIMD system then and I don't want to minimize the classical system. Is there a way around this?

Peter Eastman

Post by Peter Eastman » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:45 pm

If you set the temperature to 0 and run a short simulation, it should converge to a local minimum of the quantum system.