Constraints with Langevin Middle Integrator

The functionality of OpenMM will (eventually) include everything that one would need to run modern molecular simulation.
Ethan Meitz

Re: Constraints with Langevin Middle Integrator

Post by Ethan Meitz » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:01 pm

Why would you not always need to apply that velocity correction though? It seems that the forces used in the position update should always be the same ones used in the velocity update.

And within OpenMM is this correction added when you use constraints automatically or do you have to define a custom integrator?

Peter Eastman

Post by Peter Eastman » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:14 pm

I don't understand your question. It is always applied. It's part of the algorithm.

All the standard integrators apply constraints correctly. They use different algorithms in which constraints come up in different ways, but each algorithm handles them in a correct way.

Ethan Meitz

Post by Ethan Meitz » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:04 pm

Oh, you said that the (x1 - x)/dt correction is part of RATTLE and not the constraint algorithm (SHAKE, CCMA etc.). I was asking if that correction is used by OpenMM when you use a constraint algorithm or do you have to define a custom integrator?

Peter Eastman

Post by Peter Eastman » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:38 am

I already said: all standard integrators apply constraints correctly. That correction is part of RATTLE. Other algorithms account for velocities in other ways, but all of them handle them correctly.

Ethan Meitz

Post by Ethan Meitz » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:06 pm

Thanks for your patience and help, I learned a lot from this!