Advice implementing this restraint

The functionality of OpenMM will (eventually) include everything that one would need to run modern molecular simulation.
lewis martin

Advice implementing this restraint

Post by lewis martin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:56 pm

Hi all,
I'm hoping for some advice on how to implement some restraints.

I have a protein with five-fold axial symmetry (ion channel with five subunits). I have a ligand that binds at the interface of two of any of the subunits. I'd like to have restraining walls that go through each subunit, restraining the ligand to a wedge-shape of the cell that includes just one interface. I would apply these walls such that five ligands are restrained to five of the interfaces in a single simulation.

Is there a way, in OpenMM, to restrain the angle around the z axis, for instance? This would be more elegant than xyz restraints in that it reduces the total number of restraints and thus has better performance. If not then I will look at PLUMED!
cheers for your thoughts
Lewis

Peter Eastman

Re: Advice implementing this restraint

Post by Peter Eastman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:41 pm

You should be able to do that with a CustomExternalForce or CustomCompoundBondForce (if you want to apply it to individual atoms), or with a CustomCentroidBondForce (if you want to apply it to the centroid of the ligand). Suppose you want to restrain it to the range of angles +/- pi/5. You can compute the angle as theta=atan(y/x), then apply a flat bottomed harmonic force along the lines of k*(max(0, abs(theta)-pi/5))^2. You'll need to be careful of numerical stability. That expression will blow up if it gets too close to x=0. A more conventional restraint that just keeps it close to a particular region of space may seem less elegant, but it's more numerically stable.

lewis martin

Re: Advice implementing this restraint

Post by lewis martin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:44 am

cheers Peter!
Didn't know about the customcentroidbondforce. Ive implemented this and will watch and wait for explosions. Another possible restraint Ill try is a cylinder encompassing the interface, like k*(max(0, (x-x0)^2+(y-y0)^2-150)). Thanks!