Python API, CustomGBForce, TabulatedFunction, OpenCL vs. CPU

The functionality of OpenMM will (eventually) include everything that one would need to run modern molecular simulation.
Nicholas Schafer

Python API, CustomGBForce, TabulatedFunction, OpenCL vs. CPU

Post by Nicholas Schafer » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:27 am

Hi Peter -

I'm working on a model that is implemented primarily using the Python API. One of my forces is a CustomGBForce that includes tabulated functions. When running a test simulation, simply changing the platform from OpenCL to CPU (or Reference) gives me different answers, and the cause of the problem seems to be the way the two platforms are reading the tabulated functions. I am using both Discrete2DFunctions and Discrete3DFunctions. If I eliminate the tabulated functions from the energy term expression, the platforms then give similar answers. When the tabulated functions are part of the energy expression, OpenCL is giving me an answer that is closer to what I expect. Can you think of what I might be doing wrong? Is there some particular order that I should call addPerParticleParameter, addGlobalParameter, addTabulatedFunction, addComptuedValue, and addEnergyTerm? What is the difference in the way that the platforms handle tabulated functions?

Thanks,
Nick

Peter Eastman

Re: Python API, CustomGBForce, TabulatedFunction, OpenCL vs. CPU

Post by Peter Eastman » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:42 am

Is it possible for you to post an example that shows the problem? Just changing platforms shouldn't affect the results at all, aside from numerical precision. And tabulated functions should be interpreted exactly the same way on all platforms.

Nicholas Schafer

Post by Nicholas Schafer » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi Peter -

I've pared it down to a pretty minimal example. When I run testminimalexample.py, I get:

Code: Select all

CPU
#"Step","Potential Energy (kJ/mole)","Temperature (K)"
Reference
OpenCL
So, as I mentioned previously, OpenCL seems to be giving me the answer I expect, whereas both CPU and Reference are somehow missing one of the values in the tabulated function(?).

Thanks as always for the help,
Nick
Attachments
minimalexample.zip
(7.88 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

Peter Eastman

Post by Peter Eastman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:23 pm

Sorry for taking a while to get to this! I've been a bit overwhelmed with other things.

I believe the problem is that your force is nonsymmetric. Here's what the API documentation says about energy terms of type ParticlePair:
Note that energy terms are assumed to be symmetric with respect to the two interacting particles, and therefore are evaluated only once per pair. In contrast, expressions for computed values need not be symmetric and therefore are calculated twice for each pair: once when calculating the value for the first particle, and again when calculating the value for the second particle.
Your system has 368 atoms, and you define the tabulated function like this:

gamma_ij = [0.0]*self.natoms*self.natoms
gamma_ij[32] = 1.0
am_dd.addTabulatedFunction("gamma_ij", Discrete2DFunction(self.natoms, self.natoms, gamma_ij))
So gamma_ij(32, 0) is 1, but gamma_ij(0, 32) (along with all other values) is 0. Here's how you define your energy term:

am_dd.addEnergyTerm("gamma_ij(index1,index2)", CustomGBForce.ParticlePair)
It isn't symmetric, which means the result is undefined. The interaction between atoms 0 and 32 will only be calculated once, and you can't depend on whether it will end up equal to gamma_ij(0, 32) or gamma_ij(32, 0). Different platforms happen to pick different ones.

Nicholas Schafer

Post by Nicholas Schafer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:08 am

Hi Peter -

No trouble at all. Thanks for looking into it. I made everything symmetric and now all of the platforms are giving nearly identical answers. Good catch!

Thanks,
Nick