Kinematics Modeling of the Wrist Motion and Carpal Bones

This collection consists of carpal bone anatomy and kinematics data sets from 120 healthy wrists. CT images of wrists from 90 healthy volunteers (43 males and 47 females) were acquired in various wrist positions. The outer cortical surfaces of the carpal
Bardiya Akhbari

Kinematics Modeling of the Wrist Motion and Carpal Bones

Post by Bardiya Akhbari » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:31 am

Hello everyone,

Please find our kinematics modeling paper here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31378991

In case you have any questions about the paper, or you want to use the data to create your own mathematical model, please direct your questions to us individually or in this forum.

Thank you.

Best,
Bardiya

Viktoria Kiaulehn

Re: Kinematics Modeling of the Wrist Motion and Carpal Bones

Post by Viktoria Kiaulehn » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:05 am

Dear Mr. Akbari,

First, I would like to thank you and your team for sharing the database and the statistical model, it's really great!
I have a question regarding the parameters and was wondering if you could kindly provide some insight.

In the GUI, I noticed that it is possible to predict the motion (trajectory) of the bone relative to the RCS.
I am curious to know how you calculate the position and orientation of the bone coordinate system (ICS) using the statistical parameters (DOFs). Specifically, I am wondering if the translation parameters (DPT, RUT, VDT) and rotation angles (SP, FE, and RU) directly determine the position and orientation of the local coordinate system of the bone or if they define the helical axis instead.

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise.

Best
Viktoria