3D walking with contact force

OpenSim Moco is a software toolkit to solve optimal control problems with musculoskeletal models defined in OpenSim using the direct collocation method.
David Torres

3D walking with contact force

Post by David Torres » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:04 am

Hi,
For the last few days I have tried to make a 3D walking tracking task simulation with contact forces but I haven't been able to get good results. I modified 2D walking example script and I added contact spheres and contact forces to 3D walking osim model which is located on 3D walking example folder (subject_walk_armless.osim). In this way, Matlab threw the following exception:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to connect Socket 'half_space_frame' of type PhysicalFrame (details:
Connectee for Socket 'half_space_frame' of type PhysicalFrame in SmoothSphereHalfSpaceForce at
/forceset/contactHeel_r is unspecified. If this model was built programmatically, perhaps finalizeConnections()
was not called before printing.
Thrown at Component.h:3094 in finalizeConnection().).
In Object 'contactHeel_r' of type SmoothSphereHalfSpaceForce.
Thrown at Component.cpp:314 in finalizeConnections().

Also, I tried also running Ross Miller's examples but neither 2D example nor 3D e didn't work well. Both examples threw same matlab exception above mentioned. As well, I tried adding contact forces and contact spheres like Components on XML model but it didn't work neither. This time, it didn't throw matlab exception, instead, it got stuck and it never found a solution. Could someone help me? How do i add contact forces in a correct way? or How can i fix this issues.?
Thank you
Regards

David Torres

Re: 3D walking with contact force

Post by David Torres » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:34 am

Update
Hi,
I didn't know but Ross Miller's examples only works in Moco 4.0, in earlier versions it doesn't work.

Regards
David

Christopher Dembia

Post by Christopher Dembia » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:22 pm

Are you able to use Moco 0.4.0? Please let us know if you continue to run into issues.

Note that we may still make small changes to Moco's interface in the coming months.

David Torres

Post by David Torres » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:46 am

Hi Christopher,

Yes, I haven't had have any issues with it. It's just that I had been running Miller's examples with MOCO 3.0 and these didn't work . Then , I updated to MOCO 4.0 and I didnt get exception messages anymore.

Thank you

Regards
David