Center of Pressure's Optimization in Moco

OpenSim Moco is a software toolkit to solve optimal control problems with musculoskeletal models defined in OpenSim using the direct collocation method.
Burak Kula

Center of Pressure's Optimization in Moco

Post by Burak Kula » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:22 am

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to optimize the center of pressure (CoP) during gait of a subject in my project. As far as I researched, there is not any function in Moco to do that. Therefore I think that I need to prepare my own custom goal of Moco.
Are there any people to give me some tips about it ?
How can I start to do that?
Are there any available examples?

Sincerely Burak.

Nicholas Bianco

Re: Center of Pressure's Optimization in Moco

Post by Nicholas Bianco » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:15 pm

Hi Burak,

Moco currently does not have a center of pressure goal. The best place to start would be the MocoContactTrackingGoal, as that will show you how to compute ground reaction forces from SmoothSphereHalfSpaceForce elements. This change would require C++ development -- is this something you're comfortable with?

-Nick

Burak Kula

Post by Burak Kula » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:51 am

Hello Nicholas,

Thank you for your reply. As far as I know, "MocoContactTrackingGoal" is not manipulatable. How can I manipulate or modify it as I want?

Best Regards,
Burak.

Nicholas Bianco

Post by Nicholas Bianco » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:30 pm

I point you to MocoContactTrackingGoal since it will show you how to compute contact forces, which is the first step towards computing the center-of-pressure. You could use some of that code as a starting point for a new goal (perhaps MocoCenterOfPressureTrackingGoal).