Range of design variables

OpenSim Moco is a software toolkit to solve optimal control problems with musculoskeletal models defined in OpenSim using the direct collocation method.
Ross Miller

Range of design variables

Post by Ross Miller » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:17 am

Hi all,

In most simulations that most of us do in Moco, the variables that are optimized (i.e. the "design variables) all vary over a range of approximately [-1, +1], for example muscle excitations, muscle activations, CC lengths, normalized SEC forces, joint angles in radians, etc.

In a current simulation, I have one variable, stiffness of a spring, whose range is much larger in magnitude, about [10,000, 30,000].

Is this bad for convergence? Is it better to have it such that all variables in the solution space are optimized/searched for over approximately the same range?

Ross
Last edited by Ross Miller on Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ton van den Bogert

Re: Range of design variables

Post by Ton van den Bogert » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:13 am

Ross,

In my experience, it can make a large difference. I once spent two weeks trying to find an error in my code, when an optimization problem would not solve. Turned out my code was correct after all, I just needed to change my force units to kN and it solved immediately.

I don't know if this is generally the case, but to be safe, it is a good idea to scale the problem well. Gradient-based optimization methods are all based on Newton's method, and are developed and tested by mathematicians who never think about units.

Ton van den Bogert

Nicholas Bianco

Post by Nicholas Bianco » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:15 pm

Hi Ross,

I find this blog post from the CasADi developers on the topic of NLP scaling helpful: https://web.casadi.org/blog/nlp-scaling/.

Last year we added to Moco support for automatic variable scaling when using CasADi solver via the 'scaling_variables_using_bounds' property:

Code: Select all

solver = study.initCasADiSolver();
solver.set_scale_variables_using_bounds(true);
Give it a try and see if it helps with convergence in your problem.

Best,
Nick

Ross Miller

Post by Ross Miller » Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:41 pm

Thanks both! That is a nice new feature.