Controller with moco

OpenSim Moco is a software toolkit to solve optimal control problems with musculoskeletal models defined in OpenSim using the direct collocation method.
Charles Khazoom

Controller with moco

Post by Charles Khazoom » Tue May 26, 2020 5:37 am

Hi,

I am interested in studying the effect of a time-varying assistive force (F) applied on the pelvis when walking. This force F could be a controller since I can define F as a function of state. Can I implement a controller and attach it to a model en then use this model directly in Moco?

I found a c++ example of how to create a custom controller and attach it to a model : https://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:8 ... r+Part+One), can this be done in Matlab as well?

Thank you for your help!

Charles

Christopher Dembia

Re: Controller with moco

Post by Christopher Dembia » Tue May 26, 2020 11:43 am

Time-varying forces can potentially be modeled with OpenSim's PrescribedForce component, which would not require a Controller and could be used in Moco right now.

Moco does not support OpenSim Controllers right now, but this is one of the main features we hope to add over the next few months.

To achieve what you want, you do not need a *custom* controller; you should be able to use OpenSim's PrescribedController, which allows you to specify time-varying functions (including splines) to define your control signal.

If you find that you *do* want to create a *custom* controller, that must be done in C++, not Matlab.