Modifying passive force-length curve properties of DeGrooteFregly2016Muscle

OpenSim Moco is a software toolkit to solve optimal control problems with musculoskeletal models defined in OpenSim using the direct collocation method.
Karthick Ganesan

Modifying passive force-length curve properties of DeGrooteFregly2016Muscle

Post by Karthick Ganesan » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:04 pm

Hi all,
How can I modify the passive FL curve properties of this muscle. I can modify the passive fiber strain at one norm force . What about the other properties?
Thanks,
Karthick.

Nicholas Bianco

Re: Modifying passive force-length curve properties of DeGrooteFregly2016Muscle

Post by Nicholas Bianco » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:59 am

Hi Karthick,

Currently, passive fiber strain at one norm force is the only property that's modifiable on the DGF muscle. What are you trying to change? Perhaps we'll add other properties to control the passive force curve in the future.

-Nick

Karthick Ganesan

Post by Karthick Ganesan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:53 am

Thanks Nick.
As Ross pointed out that in his model rectus femoris produces high passive force in the beginning of swing phase, I wanted to tweak some passive force properties. Passive strain at one norm force is already set as 1 compared to the default 0.6. So thought of changing curviness or exponential shape factor.

Karthick.

Nicholas Bianco

Post by Nicholas Bianco » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:35 am

The passive strain parameter usually has the largest effect on passive force, hence why it is a property of the model. You might find that you need to increase the passive strain well above the default to avoid excessive forces, especially in biarticular muscles like the recfem, which undergo large excursions.