How to convert STL file to a 3D solid geometry

Provides a system for patient-specific cardiovascular modeling and simulation.
Xinjie Duan

How to convert STL file to a 3D solid geometry

Post by Xinjie Duan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Hello,

I have a vasculature model in STL format. I am wondering if I can use SimVascular to convert it into 3D solid geometry, such as iges or sat format. I have imported the STL into SimVascular, but I wasn't able to figure out how to generate centerlines and loft to create a solid geometry. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jay

Hongzhi Lan

Re: How to convert STL file to a 3D solid geometry

Post by Hongzhi Lan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Hi Jay,

After importing a stl model, it's converted to a PolyData model in SimVascular. Currently, SimVascular can't convert a PolyData model to a CAD model.

To generate centerlines for a polydata model, there are two situations:
1. the model just has walls, no cap faces (inlets, outlets)), you can right click the model in the Data Manager and select "Extract Path". It may take a couple of minutes to create the centerlines and add to the folder "Paths".
2. the model has a closed surface. You need to Extract faces and assign correct types to the faces (wall or cap), then repeat 1.

Thanks,
Hongzhi

SimVascular Development Team

Joseph Roshan

Post by Joseph Roshan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:59 am

Hi,
I have an STL file of an artery. What is the remedy to do a CFD simulation for that in Simvascular?!

Adam Updegrove

Post by Adam Updegrove » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:52 am

Hi,

Follow Hongzhi's instructions above (step 2.) to create a SimVascular model. Then you will create a mesh, apply appropriate boundary conditions and run a blood flow simulation. For more information about these steps, check out our documentation: http://simvascular.github.io/docsQuickGuide.html

Thanks!

Joseph Roshan

Post by Joseph Roshan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:34 pm

Hey thanks,

I certainly did them, but the problem is that when I import the STL file under “model” branch from the Data Manager box, doubble clicking on the imported model leads to opening a new window which does NOT contain even any track of the model but just its name(vein) and type(Polydata)!!! Actually when I click on the “create model” in the new window nothing happens!!! Also, when I right click on the STL file under MODEL, there is not an option regarding “extracting faces”, instead we have “extract path” which when I choose it, the software tells that it’s not a valid data. It maybe a bug related to the last release. I could send the file to you too!

Adam Updegrove

Post by Adam Updegrove » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:22 am

Yes, you can either post a screenshot of what you mean, or send me your .stl. updega2@berkeley.edu. I would be willing to check it out and see what you mean.

Thanks!

Joseph Roshan

Post by Joseph Roshan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:27 am

I’ve just sent you the file! Pls check that out!

Adam Updegrove

Post by Adam Updegrove » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:40 am

It imported fine for me. You cannot "Create a Model" because that is done from segmentations.

The "Extraction of Faces" is done in the Model panel that pops up. Take a look at the right side of the window that I boxed in red in the attached screenshot.

I extracted the faces of the model and applied a color to each face. Let me know if you can't get this to work as well.

Thanks!

Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 7.39.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 7.39.10 AM.png (498.52 KiB) Viewed 802 times

Joseph Roshan

Post by Joseph Roshan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:55 am

It worked nicely! I am happy with that! Thanks for your kind cooperation.

shubham shinde

Post by shubham shinde » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:21 am

Hi Dr Hamed,

I am getting the same problem with my .stl model. When I press "Extract path" it does nothing and says invalid data. How did you make it work for you?

Thank you in advance,
Shubham