Resistance value for boundary conditions and 4D Video

Provides a system for patient-specific cardiovascular modeling and simulation.
Luca Borro

Resistance value for boundary conditions and 4D Video

Post by Luca Borro » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:10 am

Hi everyone,
I'm a biomedical engineering student and I'm trying to learn how to use SimVascular for CFD simulation of aortict coarctations.
I understand the general operation of the software and I offer my congratulations to the developers and to community.
However i've got some problems with the definition of boundary conditions.
Reading the software pdf guide I noticed that there is a value of "Resistance" like as you can see in the attached image.
How was this value obtained? where does it come from?
I also followed all the tutorial with the "demo project" files and I've exported everything in paraview. Here i can only see static images but i can not see dynamic (4D) images of the flow like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqbjInQJtzU
Why? Where I'm doing wrong?
Thank you for help.
Best Regards
Luca
Attachments
simvascular question.JPG
simvascular question.JPG (81.83 KiB) Viewed 726 times

Luca Borro

Re: Resistance value for boundary conditions and 4D Video

Post by Luca Borro » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:36 am

Someone who can help me?
Thank you

Weiguang Yang

Post by Weiguang Yang » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:31 pm

The resistance boundary condition models the downstream vasculature (beyond the 3D model) as a resistor. Using a circuit analogy and Ohm's law, the pressure drop across a resistor (downstream vasculature) is equal to flow times resistance (Q*R). If a ground pressure of 0 mmHg is used, at the outlet of the 3D model, the pressure should rise from 0 to 0+Q*R. You can see that the pressure at the 3D outlet is a function of outflow. In the tutorial, it assumes that a target outlet pressure for the cylinder is ~100mmHg. Thus the resistance value is derived from this target pressure and the flow rate.

You can get more details (implementation and application) about resistance boundary conditions in these two papers.
https://www.scorec.rpi.edu/REPORTS/2006-22.pdf
http://biomechanical.asmedigitalcollect ... id=1430878

To view dynamic results or create a video, you need to run an unsteady flow simulation first and then load multiple vtu files with the same prefix into the paraview (file->open->select the vtu files, note that you can load them by one click because the files are collapsed in the window.), display the quantity of interest (say streamline or velocity vector), and click the play button or click file->save animation.

Luca Borro

Post by Luca Borro » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:13 pm

Thank you for your very useful reply.
I'm trying to work on venous cerebral vessels for studying.
I don't know if Simvascular is a good solution for this type of simulation or if it's dedicated only for big vessels like aorta ora pulmonary artery.
Sorry but i'm new with this technology and i've got a bit of questions:
1) How can i obtain a plot of flow (ml/s --> t) at the inlet face? With other software i suppose, software with which i can get quantitative data about 4D Flow in MRI sequence (like, for example, magnitudo of velocity). Can you cite some software that does this?

2) I could be wrong but if i consider only the waveform of flow applied on inlet face this isn't a 4D representation of velocity but only 2D interpolated result between inlet face (with stead.flow file applied) and outlet face (with RCR or orther boundary condition applied). It's correct?

Thank you again
Best Regards
Luca

Luca Borro

Post by Luca Borro » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:38 am

Hi,
No up for me?
Thank you again
Luca

Weiguang Yang

Post by Weiguang Yang » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:02 pm

1) How can i obtain a plot of flow (ml/s --> t) at the inlet face? With other software i suppose, software with which i can get quantitative data about 4D Flow in MRI sequence (like, for example, magnitudo of velocity). Can you cite some software that does this?

I know there is a software segment that allows you to process 2D PCMRI data to extract flow waveforms(flow rate vs time). http://medviso.com/segment/
For 4D MRI data, I guess you may work with radiologists to extract velocity and time information from dicom files. I don't know if there is any software available to public. Most are in-house codes, to my limited knowledge,

2) I could be wrong but if i consider only the waveform of flow applied on inlet face this isn't a 4D representation of velocity but only 2D interpolated result between inlet face (with stead.flow file applied) and outlet face (with RCR or orther boundary condition applied). It's correct?

sorry I don't get your second question. Please rephrase it.

Ryan Pewowaruk

Post by Ryan Pewowaruk » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:43 pm

RE: 4D Flow MRI

Most use an in-house code to convert 4D Flow MRI data to a file that can be read in some other post-processor.

I believe if you are using the GE 4D Flow sequence GE has it's own software for processing.