Caps meshing

Provides a system for patient-specific cardiovascular modeling and simulation.
Maria Nicole Antonuccio

Caps meshing

Post by Maria Nicole Antonuccio » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:19 am

Dear SimVascular Community,

I have an issue regarding the mesh of the caps, as you can see in the images attached.

I imported an open stl model from MeshMixer and I closed it by clicking on "Fill Holes w. IDs". Then, I ran the mesher with the estimated Global Max Edge Size and by means "Fast Meshing".

The mesh seems fine except from those particulars.

Please, could anyone suggest me how to fix this problem? I do not know if it could be a problem for the simulation as well (it is running now).

Many thanks.

Maria Nicole
Attachments
Mesh.png
Mesh.png (263.03 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Mesh1.png
Mesh1.png (272.73 KiB) Viewed 240 times

David Parker

Re: Caps meshing

Post by David Parker » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:11 pm

Hi Maria Nicole,

Could you please put your open stl model and the mesh you generated someplace I can download it (e.g. DropBox)? I'll try to reproduce what you did and check the mesh. You can check the mesh using ParaView by selecting Filters->Mesh Quality.

I'm thinking that if the mesher was able to generate the mesh without failing then the mesh might be OK. The solver would immediately fail if there were bad elements (negative or zero Jacobian) but there could be some elements with bad aspect ratio that could produce poor results.

Cheers,
Dave

Maria Nicole Antonuccio

Post by Maria Nicole Antonuccio » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:54 am

Dear David,
I really appreciated your help and your suggestions.

I checked the quality of the mesh using Paraview and it seems OK. The simulation ran correctly despite this issue.
Moreover, I noticed that I have not problems if I do not select "Fast meshing".

I uploaded my models to Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Many thanks.

Kind regards,
Maria Nicole

David Parker

Post by David Parker » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:16 pm

Hi Maria Nicole,

Thanks for the modes! I have been able to reproduce the problems you have seen with the filling open geometric models. Meshing the ReducedClipped.stl geometry creates tetrahedra with very small volume (< 1e-6) and poor aspect ration, elements that are long thin slivers.

Remeshing the model in the SV Modeling plugin selecting the Remesh button seems to correct this problem. Give that a try and let me know if that works.

Cheers,
Dave