Inquiry about the pressure in the inlet

Provides a system for patient-specific cardiovascular modeling and simulation.
Sinko Fang

Inquiry about the pressure in the inlet

Post by Sinko Fang » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:54 pm

Hi guys,

Recently I am trying to compare simvascular CFD results with other software CFD results as validation analysis for my project. I used resistance boundary condition for all the outlets, but the pressure distribution is not correct for other CFD software. In my wrong simulation results, the outlet BC will have a high pressure because p = p0 +rq as defined by the definition of resistance boundary condition, then the inlet has a lower pressure.

I was wondering is there any pressure correction or adjustment for the inlet BC in simvascular that I missed to consider? Currently the inlet BC has the constant flow rate. Any idea is appreciated.

Weiguang Yang

Re: Inquiry about the pressure in the inlet

Post by Weiguang Yang » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:44 pm

Did you also use the resistance BC for other CFD software packages? You can start with a zero pressure BC for all software packages you want to compare as the baseline. Then consider comparing resistance or RCR. For commercial CFD software packages, did you use a UDF function to implement the resistance BC?
If you compare a simulation with a resistance BC to a simulation with zero pressure BC, the pressure will differ.

Sinko Fang

Re: Inquiry about the pressure in the inlet

Post by Sinko Fang » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:16 am

wgyang wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:44 pm
Did you also use the resistance BC for other CFD software packages? You can start with a zero pressure BC for all software packages you want to compare as the baseline. Then consider comparing resistance or RCR. For commercial CFD software packages, did you use a UDF function to implement the resistance BC?
If you compare a simulation with a resistance BC to a simulation with zero pressure BC, the pressure will differ.
Thank you for your reply. I see your point and I'll keep investigating on it.