A quetion about mesh

Provides a system for patient-specific cardiovascular modeling and simulation.
ZHENGYU WEI

A quetion about mesh

Post by ZHENGYU WEI » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:37 pm

Hi all,

I'd like to import a model whose format is "vtp" into SimVascular but I don't know why I can't mesh it, I got this model by deep learning.

Regards,
Wei

David Parker

Re: A quetion about mesh

Post by David Parker » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:39 am

Hi Wei,

When you try to mesh the model imported from a .vtp file what error messages are you seeing? What OS are you running on and what version of SimVascular are you using?

You may need to smooth your model before trying to mesh it.

Cheers,
Dave

ZHENGYU WEI

Post by ZHENGYU WEI » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:42 pm

Hi David,

My version of SimVascular is "2018.11.25". There is no error message in Simvascular, I tried to mesh it both in Windows and OS but it didn't work.

I had smoothed the model, and estimated the global max edge size, it worked. But when I clicked the Run Mesher, the state was "Creating mesh......No image information at this position", mesh process stopped at 0%.

Or would you like to help me to check if my model can be meshed or simulated by SimVascular.

Regards,
Wei

David Parker

Post by David Parker » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:13 am

Hi Wei,

Please upload your model to DropBox, send me the link and I'll take a look.

On MacOS you can run SimVascular from the command line using

/Applications/SimVascular.app/Contents/MacOS/SimVascular

to see any error messages from the mesher.

Cheers,
Dave

ZHENGYU WEI

Post by ZHENGYU WEI » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:01 pm

Hi David,

Here is the error message

"Checking surface mesh
Regions: 1
Number of Free Edges on Surface: 206
Number of Non-Manifold Edges on Surface: 151
There are bad edes on surface!
Terminating meshing!"

I have uploaded my model to Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7f5h8y7cfpnf ... nstalled=0

I am appreciated for your help

Regards,
Wei

David Parker

Post by David Parker » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:15 pm

Hi Wei,

I downloaded your model and was able to reproduce the meshing error.

The error messages Number of Non-Manifold Edges on Surface: 151 means that your model faces don't correctly define a surface enclosing a volume.

You could fix the model using Mesh Mixer but the mesher will still have problems with the coronary vessels that have sections with very small cross sectional area, some of the vessels have regions that almost collapse to a line. You would need to truncate vessels that do not have well-defined geometry.

Have a look at the coronary model described here http://simvascular.github.io/clinicalCase3.html to get an idea about how the geometry needs to be defined, like the caps at the ends of the vessels.

Cheers,
Dave

ZHENGYU WEI

Post by ZHENGYU WEI » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:09 am

Hi David,

With your guiding, I run the mesher successfully after fixing my model, however there is a new problem when I try to simulate it. When I finish setting initial condition and click the bottom "create data files for simulation", it is failed to create some data files, the whole program is stopping at "creating Data files: bct, restart, geombc, etc". the error message is below:

92.61 core.mod.core.loggingadapter WARNING: Generic Warning: In S:\vtk-8.1.1\Common\Core\vtkInstantiator.cxx, line 265
vtkInstantiator::CreateInstance was deprecated for VTK 8.1 and will be removed in a future version.

Regards,

Wei

David Parker

Post by David Parker » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:51 am

Hi Wei,

The message you saw

92.61 core.mod.core.loggingadapter WARNING: Generic Warning: In S:\vtk-8.1.1\Common\Core\vtkInstantiator.cxx, line 265
vtkInstantiator::CreateInstance was deprecated for VTK 8.1 and will be removed in a future version

is not an error message, just a warning about some VTK deprecated functionality.

After creating data files a Finished window should pop up. Selecting the Show Details button will list any errors that occurred when creating the data files.

Cheers,
Dave