Generating Centerlines to Complete 0D Simulation

Provides a system for patient-specific cardiovascular modeling and simulation.
Ricardo Roopnarinesingh

Generating Centerlines to Complete 0D Simulation

Post by Ricardo Roopnarinesingh » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:57 pm

Hi,

I am trying to generate the centerline of the heart-to-brain pathway to complete 0D simulations (attached picture shows the geometry). This pathway is pretty complex and I am not getting any errors when I try to generate the centerline but it will just continue running for an indefinite time without creating the centerline or spitting an error. I've tried using a finer mesh on the model but still am running into the same problem. Is there any type of work around for this or way to complete the centerline for this complex geometry (is there something in the modeling process I can do to make it more likely to generate?)? Is it possible to use another program and import the centerline into the Simvascular project folder and then complete the 0D-sim?

Thank You,

Ricardo Roopnarinesingh
Attachments
HTOB.PNG
HTOB.PNG (136.09 KiB) Viewed 293 times

David Parker

Re: Generating Centerlines to Complete 0D Simulation

Post by David Parker » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:02 pm

Hi Ricardo,

The centerlines algorithm is compute intensive so for a complex model it may take some time.

The algorithm will also not produce correct results for models containing loops. You will probably need to break the model up into two or more sections, run centerlines for each of them and then merge the results.

Cheers,
Dave

Ricardo Roopnarinesingh

Post by Ricardo Roopnarinesingh » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:27 pm

Hi David,

If I were to generate separate centerlines, how exactly can I merge them and retain the cap IDs, branch IDs, etc. that come with the generation of a full centerline? Is there a way to merge them using Simvasular or would this have to be done in paraview?

Thanks,

Ricardo Roopnarinesingh

David Parker

Post by David Parker » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:18 pm

Hi Ricardo,

You will need to write a Python script to merge the centerlines reset cap IDs and all that. Maybe you can do that using the ParaView Python APi, not sure though.

Cheers,
Dave

Martin Pfaller

Post by Martin Pfaller » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:56 am

Hi Ricardo,

Dave and I discussed another workaround yesterday:

1. Cut out a branch of the 3D geometry to remove the loop, generating two new outlets
2. Generate centerline and 0D model on the cut 3D geometry (with the two additional outlets)
3. Generate centerline and 0D model on the cut branch (with one inlet and one outlet)
4. Reconnect the two 0D models

Step 1 you have to do manually, but the combination of steps 2-4 could be automatized.

Best,
Martin