Flow units

Provides a system for patient-specific cardiovascular modeling and simulation.
Sara BENCHARA

Flow units

Post by Sara BENCHARA » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:02 pm

Hi everyone,

For my simulations, I integrate an external model with dimensions corresponding to mm with the measurement tool (i.e. I obtain 30 mm for a structure that is 30 mm on the native images). I'd like to know whether I need to use the CGS system when implementing data (especially for the flow data). Should I implement a flow file in cm3/s or mm3/s?

Thanks

David Parker

Re: Flow units

Post by David Parker » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:10 pm

Hello,

The SimVascular and the solvers don't assume any units. You just need to have model geometry, flow data and simulation parameters be consistent.

Cheers,
Dave

Joanne Sarsam

Post by Joanne Sarsam » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:52 pm

Hi David,

To follow up on the question, how do I know which units my model is being measured in? I.e., when i create the model on SV, i am measuring things to be in mm. Should my RCR conditions not be in terms of dynes/sec/cm5, but instead in terms of dynes/sec/mm5?

David Parker

Post by David Parker » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:55 am

Hello,

SimVascular does not assume any units (see https://simvascular.github.io/documenta ... guide.html). Note that the default SV Simulation Tool Basic Parameters (e.g. density) are in CGS.

You will need to know what the length units are for your medical imaging data and make the simulation data and parameters consistent with that (i.e. use cm or mm).

Cheers,
Dave