Exporting Solid Model From SimVascular

Provides a system for patient-specific cardiovascular modeling and simulation.
Sheel Nidhan

Exporting Solid Model From SimVascular

Post by Sheel Nidhan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:52 am

I plan to use the SimVascular for the solid model generation and then integrate it with the in-house code I am developing for the CFD simulation of intracranial aneurysms. Is it possible to export the solid models generate in SimVascular to some other platform?

Thanks
Sincerely
Sheel Nidhan

Weiguang Yang

Re: Exporting Solid Model From SimVascular

Post by Weiguang Yang » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:20 pm

SV exports vtp files for solid models generated by SV.

Hoon Choi

Post by Hoon Choi » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:20 pm

Can the VTP models then be used by Solidworks or Autodesk Fusion, or other programs?
I am trying something similar, but for cervical spine modeling from MRI, and Autodesk is crashing with the following message:

"This body contains a high percentage of triangles or n-sided polygons. Converting will result in a T-spline body that will not edit well and have poor performance.
For conversion to a T-spline body the mesh should consist primarily of four sided faces.

Mesh surface content:
Quads = 0
Triangles = 17212
Polygons = 0

Conversion has been aborted."

What can we do to avoid this?
I'm trying to combine meshes to perform Boolean subtraction.

Thanks!

Adam Updegrove

Post by Adam Updegrove » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:04 pm

Hi Hoon Choi,

There are two model types available in SimVascular: PolyData and OpenCASCADE.

A PolyData is a triangulated surface which is a discrete format consisting of points and connectivity as triangles. This format is typically saved as a .vtp or .stl. There is currently no easy way to convert form a triangulated surface into a usable CAD model. I think SolidWorks has a conversion tool that converts every single triangle into its own CAD surface (non-uniform rational b-spline surface). Thought this may convert into some sort of a CAD model, I'm not sure if you would be able to use it for anything.

An OpenCASCADE model is a non-uniform rational b-spline surface, and thus will be importable and usable in a CAD framework. I would recommend creating a model using this format, saving as a .step or .iges file, and trying to load that into Solidworks or Autodesk.

Thanks!

SimVascular Development Team