Setup and Calibration Questions

New project for OpenCap, which is a new software package to estimate 3D human movement dynamics from smartphone videos. OpenCap strongly relies on OpenSim.
Leah O''Shea

Setup and Calibration Questions

Post by Leah O''Shea » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:05 pm

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding camera setup and calibration.

1. On the website, it states that the optimal camera placement for a two-camera setup is 30-45 degrees. What would be the optimal setup for 3 cameras?

2. For the checkerboard placement during calibration, does the checkerboard need to be on the floor? We had the checkerboard on the floor and tried calibrating it several times but it said the board was not seen by one of three cameras. When the checkerboard was elevated by a step stool it was able to be seen by all three cameras. Also, in the picture for calibration (see attachment), the checkerboard is elevated too so I just wanted to know the explanation of where the checkerboard should be placed.

3. Where does the participant need to stand for calibration? Close to the camera? We are using OpenCap to study gait patterns so we have the participant start 10m away from the camera and walk towards them. Can calibration happen from that distance?
Attachments
cal.PNG
Picture that is shown on calibration page
cal.PNG (16.36 KiB) Viewed 594 times

Scott Uhlrich

Re: Setup and Calibration Questions

Post by Scott Uhlrich » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:48 pm

Please check out the information and videos here https://www.opencap.ai/best-practices

1) 2 cameras is fine for gait at ~30deg. If you want a 3rd, I'd put it just off of center.
2) the checkerboard needs to be perpendicular to the ground (see link above)
3) ~3m from camera is good

Leah O''Shea

Post by Leah O''Shea » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:15 am

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the reply. I have reviewed the best practices page. I understand that the checkerboard needs to be perpendicular to the ground but does it matter how far off the ground it needs to be? can it be elevated on a stool or table?

What are the benefits of using 3 cameras? What would be a situation in which more than two cameras are optimal?

Scott Uhlrich

Post by Scott Uhlrich » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:41 pm

The height of the checkerboard doesn't matter.

3 cameras adds robustness to occlusion, since every body part needs to be visible to at least 2 cameras at each timeframe; however, we've found that adding a 3rd camera doesn't necessarily add accuracy for activities where there is not much occlusion.