CoM Calculation for the children

New project for OpenCap, which is a new software package to estimate 3D human movement dynamics from smartphone videos. OpenCap strongly relies on OpenSim.
xiaoxia yan

CoM Calculation for the children

Post by xiaoxia yan » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:20 pm

Dear Sir/Madam

I hope all is well with you.

With your assistance, I have managed to understand how to find the location of the segmental CoM and segmental mass with the model in the OpenSim code. But I fail to find the principle about how to calculate the segmental CoM (for example, the CoM in the pelvis) with the marker of the model.

I am researching children's gait and need to calculate their CoM. The ratios of segmental weight to total body weight in children vary with age and differ significantly from those in adults. For instance, the proportion of head weight to total body weight in a 3-year-old child is different from that in a 40-year-old adult. Many studies have reported these variations. Understanding the principle of segmental mass is crucial for accurate CoM calculation. Once I grasp this concept, I intend to develop methods that adjust the segmental mass calculations based on the correlation between segmental mass and age to suit children better.

Could you please tell me how to solve this problem?

Best regards,
Xia

Antoine Falisse

Re: CoM Calculation for the children

Post by Antoine Falisse » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:14 am

Hey, this is more a question for the general OpenSim forum: indexPhpbb.php?f=91
Best, Antoine