Processing Error for custom Osim model

Upload mocap files and get an optimally scaled OpenSim model and IK back in minutes. Share your data with the community. Browse and download biomechanics data. Hosted by Stanford University.

Available at https://addbiomechanics.org
Duncan Lee

Processing Error for custom Osim model

Post by Duncan Lee » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:56 am

I tried processing a trial with a custom osim model, and the result was an error. Looking at the log it seems everything ran fine until the scaling step, where none of the .vtp files could be found. I have also had this problem when opening skeletons in OpenSim on some machines. Is there an easy way to fix this or prevent it from happening? Thanks

Nicholas Bianco

Re: Processing Error for custom Osim model

Post by Nicholas Bianco » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:45 pm

Hi Duncan,

Can you describe your OpenSim model and the .vtp files it needs? Could you also provide the error message you receive (as it would be helpful for debugging)?

Best,
Nick

Duncan Lee

Post by Duncan Lee » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:39 pm

Hi Nick,

My OpenSim model is a full-body marker set derived from the Helen Hayes marker set. It seems that none of the bone mesh vtp files could be found such as pelvis.vtp, and the log output warnings for each. I have attached the osim model file to this post. I don't have a specific error message, the result was just Error. I uploaded the model from a cloud drive so maybe that is the issue? I can retry with a local copy.

Thank you,
Duncan

Duncan Lee

Post by Duncan Lee » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:56 pm

Hi Nick,

I have attached an example of the error messages I get during the scaling step. The exit code is -11 if that helps.

Thanks,
Duncan
Attachments
addBiomechanics_error.png
addBiomechanics_error.png (418.76 KiB) Viewed 1039 times

Nicholas Bianco

Post by Nicholas Bianco » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:34 pm

Hi Duncan,

Those look like standard VTP files, so despite the warnings, the actual error might be something different.

We have a better error message system, but it got disconnected with the recent UI redesign. We'll be working to reconnect it in the next couple of weeks.

In the meantime, before I start debugging the model files, could you describe an custom/non-standard modifications to the model?

Best,
Nick

Duncan Lee

Post by Duncan Lee » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:01 pm

Hi Nick,

Thanks for looking into this. I'm not sure what you are referring to for custom/non-standard modifications, but the marker set is based off the Helen Hayes marker set and contains 76 markers. It is meant for a Vicon system. I have included the marker set if you would like to view it in OpenSim.

If you need further explanations of details of the model I can try to help with what I know, but I did not create the model.

Thank you,
Duncan
Attachments
mnawrot2019 markering-FIXED.osim
(725.85 KiB) Downloaded 82 times

Nicholas Bianco

Post by Nicholas Bianco » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:26 am

Hi Duncan,

Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant things like custom joint definitions or anything not included in the Rajagopal or Gait2392 model distributions. I downloaded your model and it loads fine in OpenSim for me (all bone geometries are recognized and visualized correctly). Is this model derived from the Gait2392 model?

My guess is that your error has to do with an issue in your marker data or a mismatch between the marker data and the model markers. It's hard to say more without the debugging info yet though.

Have you tried manually running IK in the GUI yet (even with an unscaled model)? That might help reveal any minor issues in your data files.

Best,
Nick

Duncan Lee

Post by Duncan Lee » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:16 am

Hi Nick,

I do not believe that the model is derived from the Gait2392 model. It is a modified Helen Hayes markerset.

What's confusing to me is that I successfully ran AddBiomechanics on December 8, 2023 with this same model and data. However it seems the website has been updated since then, and I have been getting this error since.

I can try running IK manually. By GUI do you mean OpenSim?

Thanks,
Duncan

Duncan Lee

Post by Duncan Lee » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:02 am

One thing that may be causing issues is that the model has 2 fewer markers than the data, as it is missing two finger markers. In the previous version of addbiomechanics I think it just neglected those trajectories, but could this be an issue in the updated version?

Nicholas Bianco

Post by Nicholas Bianco » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:59 am

Hi Duncan,

If you provide the link to the failing trial I can try debugging to see where the error is occuring.
One thing that may be causing issues is that the model has 2 fewer markers than the data, as it is missing two finger markers. In the previous version of addbiomechanics I think it just neglected those trajectories, but could this be an issue in the updated version?
Yes, those should be ignored.
I can try running IK manually. By GUI do you mean OpenSim?
Yes, the OpenSim GUI. Sorry, should have clarified!

Best,
Nick