OpenSim plugin to extract the muscle lines of action Public Forum

The aim of this project is to provide OpenSim users with a useful tool to link their musculoskeletal models and simulations to their finite element models.
Dimitar Stanev

Re: OpenSim plugin to extract the muscle lines of action Public Forum

Post by Dimitar Stanev » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:03 am

Can you verify that OpenSim is installed properly (e.g., path variable)? Could you try building the plugin from source in your machine? I anticipate that this might be an issue with your installation because we can load the plugin. Luca can you verify that you can load the plugin? It might be best to post a question on the OpenSim forum. Maybe Ayman can suggest something.

Nathan Knodel

Post by Nathan Knodel » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:45 am

I'm not sure what you mean by path variable, I don't remember that being an option when I installed the software (or is it taken care of in another way?). I don't believe OpenSim was installed incorrectly since I can run all of it's base functionality just fine. Unless you mean for the use of plugins specifically, I'm just not sure how to change the installation process to fix a potential issue like that. Any advice would be welcomed. And it looks like at least two other people have the same issue loading the plugin based on previous posts.

As for building the plugin from source, I don't have any experience with that so unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to accomplish it in a short amount of time.

Luca Modenese

Post by Luca Modenese » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:34 am

Both me and my students can load and use the plugin with no issues. Nathan, do you have more than one installation of OpenSim installed by any chance? In that case you might have the path variables mixed up. A system path variable refers to where your operative system looks for the OpenSim libraries, you can check those directly from control panel in Windows (see the gif here for a rough step-by-step guide or you can use a third party software like PathEditor.

Nathan Knodel

Post by Nathan Knodel » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:21 pm

It turns out that my path variable was set to OpenSim 3.3. I went ahead and changed it to OpenSim 4.1 and attempted to load the plugin into OpenSim 4.1 once again but still got the same error. Not sure if there's anything else that needs changed outside of what was shown in the referenced gif. I may just end up extracting the information I need through MATLAB scripting instead.

Luca Modenese

Post by Luca Modenese » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:57 am

are you referring to the OPENSIM_HOME variable? We do have a MATLAB version of the tool as well, although still unreleased. I can send you a copy if you are interested. It would be good to go to the bottom of this though.
Can you maybe try reinstalling OpenSim 4.1 adding it to the path? Please install Visual C++ as well when asked to.

Nathan Knodel

Post by Nathan Knodel » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:16 am

If you're willing to share the MATLAB version of the code that would be great. I'll also try what you just suggested, but it may be several days before I get the chance.

Nathan Knodel

Post by Nathan Knodel » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:12 am

Just wanted to give an update. I tried uninstalling everything and then re-installing once again and this time it is now working. I'm not sure what I was doing incorrectly before, but it's good to go now. Thank you for all of your help. Also, if you're still willing to share your MATLAB script that is in development for this plugin, I would love to be able to look it over as I'm trying to write my own script which will perform some similar functions. If you're trying to keep it within your development group for now though I understand. Thank you again.

Nathan Knodel

Post by Nathan Knodel » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:46 am

Hello,

Is there any update on when the MATLAB version will be released? Additionally, is there a way to select which muscles to run the analysis on if there are additional muscles in the model that you do not wish to receive the results for? Thank you.

Nathan

Luca Modenese

Post by Luca Modenese » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:15 am

Hi Nathan,
can you please follow up with me about the MATLAB tool via email?
Thank you,
Luca