Definitions: Building a Glossary

The Committee on Credible Practice of
Modeling & Simulation in Healthcare aims to establish a task-oriented collaborative platform to outline good practice of simulation-based medicine.
Jacob Barhak

Re: Definitions: Building a Glossary

Post by Jacob Barhak » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:03 pm

Thanks Martin,

This is another good source.

Why not mix and match per definition?

We can adopt the best fitting definition from any source and link to it.

For example:
Definition X: see ACM dictionary - hyperlink
Definition Y: see DoD dictionary - hyperlink
Definition Z : our own definition

If we link rather than copy we avoid copyright issues, otherwise we need permissions or open glossaries to base our work upon.

And Martin, I have witnessed how the cloud is underused as a web server where its computing power and elasticity should have been reccomended to support modeling & simulation activities. If you have a link to a good definition that includes this I am ok with adopting it. Yet I do think this specific term - as well as other newer terms should exist in our glossary to keep up with technological advances.

In any case, it is great you pointed to another important source of information.

Jacob

Lealem Mulugeta

Post by Lealem Mulugeta » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:47 pm

Hi all,

Regarding individual entries vs phrases, I like the Jacob's three step process and I agree with Martin that relying only definition of individual words can lead to people inferring their own definition. So I am also in favor of clearly defining phrases as well as individual words. I think there are some phrases that are used commonly and the individual words in the phrase when used with other cases can mean different things.

As Jacob also suggested and I believe Martin has done similarly in of his posts, I think it is a good idea to leverage well established definitions from reliable sources when we can. However, this will need to be done on a case by case basis to ensure that we adopt definitions that are most applicable to credible practice of M&S in healthcare. A good example of this is multiscale modeling. In the case of the structural and thermal fluid analysis in engineering, multiscale will likely refer to temporal and spatial/length scale and may not account for the other aspects covered by the IMAG definition.

Finally, we will likely need to have a down selection to ensure that we define the terms and phrases that matter the most to our objectives. I am not completely sure how we would do this at this point, but a survey might be a good option... or not.

John Rice

Post by John Rice » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:04 pm

A little on the caustic side. It would help if the community BANNED the phrase, "for the purpose of this (study, paper, project) XXX is defined as YYYYY ......" Else, no glossary can ever keep up. Starting today, if you can't find and reference the source for context for definition that does not describe what you are doing, (and unfortunately there are likely already way to many to choose from), than YOUR NOT DOING XXX. Make up a new word. The existing terms are not yours to REDEFINE!

:-)

Lealem Mulugeta

Post by Lealem Mulugeta » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:19 am

Hi John,
johnmrice3 wrote:Starting today, if you can't find and reference the source for context for definition that does not describe what you are doing, (and unfortunately there are likely already way to many to choose from), than YOUR NOT DOING XXX. Make up a new word. The existing terms are not yours to REDEFINE!
I agree with your suggestion to a degree. From my own experience, creating new words tend to cause more confusion than consensus. So I would only advocate the creation of a new word or expression when it is completely necessary. Also, with regards to our effort, I don't see it as us trying to redefine existing terms. Rather, we are trying to capture how the existing terms are used by the different disciplines in order to minimize confusions.

For example, some words are thrown around very loosely (e.g. verification and validation), which then leads to all sorts of assumptions from the different disciplines and thus leading to unnecessary confusion/disagreement. In my work, when I am speaking to a broad audience, I've learned to clearly define some of these terms and their implications on the presented work. This has helped me tremendously in reaching both the supporters and nay-sayers of M&S.

If you want to help us with establishing the definitions of the different terms we've identified, the best place to do it is on the Glossary Wiki page: http://wiki.simtk.org/cpms/Glossary_and_Definitions

Lealem