Parameterize a TransformAxis

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Nicolas Eydieux

Parameterize a TransformAxis

Post by Nicolas Eydieux » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:40 am

Dear OpenSim community,

Is it possible to parameterize a TransformAxis ? Actually, I would like to define an axis which depends on a coordinate with a sort of CoordinateCouplerConstraint.

Thanks per advance,
Nicolas.

Michael Sherman

Re: Parameterize a TransformAxis

Post by Michael Sherman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:48 am

Hi, Nicolas. To parameterize an axis you need to provide a coordinate that controls it. That means introduce a new body and joint, then use couplers to express the dependency of the new joint's dofs on others.

It is fine for the introduced body to be massless and inertialess if it is connected to massful bodies -- in that case it is just introducing an additional frame. The general rule-of-thumb for when you can get away with a massless or inertialess body is to imagine applying a torque (or force) to each of that body's joint dofs. What would be the resulting acceleration? If it would be infinite then the body is not allowed. If it would be finite due to the presence of other bodies connected outboard to the massless one, then that is well-conditioned and OK.

So for example a massless body that does not serve as the parent for any other body is not allowed.

Regards,
Sherm

Nicolas Eydieux

Re: Parameterize a TransformAxis

Post by Nicolas Eydieux » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:21 am

Hi Sherm,

Thank you first for your quick answer. I post this topic for the problem of massless bodies that I would like to replace by parameterized axis. Thanks to your answer, I know understand well why certain body are not allowed. Finally, I can keep massless bodies with massful bodies connected outboard what solves my problem.

Thank you again,
Nicolas.