Mass of thorax in advanced upper extremity model

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Brandon Brown

Mass of thorax in advanced upper extremity model

Post by Brandon Brown » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:11 pm

Hello all,

I downloaded the SIMM files for the advanced upper extremity model and I used the SIMM converter in OpenSim to turn that model into an OpenSim model. I am using the model to do muscle force analysis for a simplified throwing motion. Could someone tell me a paper or source where I could find data on the mass of the thorax in the advanced upper extremity model? I could also use data on the location of the mass center as well as inertia data (Ixx, Iyy, Izz, Ixy, Ixz, Iyz).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

jimmy d

Re: Mass of thorax in advanced upper extremity model

Post by jimmy d » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:54 am

There aren't any distributed upper limb models that have a complete mass set. People who have wanted to run upper body dynamic simulations found usable masses in the Hamner Running Model found here; https://simtk.org/home/runningsim

The Holzbauer paper referenced the following papers for the anthropometry;
Gordon, C. C., T. Churchill, C. E. Clauser, B. Bradtmiller, J. T. McConville, I. Tebbets, and R. A. Walker. 1988 Anthropometric Survey of U.S. Army Personnel: Methods and Summary Statistics. Natick, MA: United States Army Natick Research, Development and Engineering Center, 1989.

Winter, D. Biomechanics and Motor Control of Human Movement,2nd ed. New York: Wiley, 1990.