squat/fall simulation

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Jicheng Xia

squat/fall simulation

Post by Jicheng Xia » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:23 am

Good morning,

First, thanks the Opensim group for your hard working. Opensim is a great one.

I am just starting with openSim, so I have some rookie questions:
Is it possible to do a squat/fall simulation in openSim and find torques about knee or is it possible to find how much torque is being exerted by muscles about knee to keep human in a certain position? If there is no ready simulation file available in openSim for squat/fall, is it
possible to make one?

Thanks,
Jicheng

Ajay Seth

RE: squat/fall simulation

Post by Ajay Seth » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi Jicheng:

Yes it is possible to do these simulations. If you have experimental data (markers and GRFs) you can track the motion. It would be good to follow tutorial 3 using the gait2354 example (in the doc and examples subfolders of your OpenSim install). You can apply the torques or use CMC to get muscle excitations and forces.

If you do not have experimental data it might be a bit involved. You will either have to add a contact model or connect (weld, pin) the feet to the ground. You can use the excitation editor to come up with a set of controls that makes your model squat, but it will require a lot of trial and error.

Best of luck,
Ajay

Jicheng Xia

RE: squat/fall simulation

Post by Jicheng Xia » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:33 am

Ajay,

Thanks for your reply. It's pretty helpful.

I did follow the tutorial 3, but the OpenSim always automatically closed without any warning when I did the inverse dynamics. I can't figure out the reason, so I switched to another computer, where it works very well.

Best regards,
Jicheng