normalizing EMG signals, how to process MVC data?

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Brandon Brown

normalizing EMG signals, how to process MVC data?

Post by Brandon Brown » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:08 am

Hello all,

I am trying to normalize electromyography signals taken during an exercise in which I also obtained kinematic data. I have used the kinematic data to get activations from CMC and want to accurately compare them to the obtained EMG signals. I filtered the EMG signals by putting them through a high pass and then low pass filter. I then rectified them and put them through another low pass filter. I know that to normalize the signals I need to do a maximum voluntary contraction and use the maximum value obtained. My question is how do I filter the MVC signals? Do I filter them in the exact same way as I filtered the original signals obtained during the experiment?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brandon

Ursula Trinler

Re: normalizing EMG signals, how to process MVC data?

Post by Ursula Trinler » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:31 am

Hi Brandon,

I would recommend you to filter the EMG siganls of the MVC with the same filter process than the EMG signals of your exercises. You high pass and low pass the signals to get rid of movement artefacts and electrode/ equipment noise. After then rectifying the signals you then lowpass the signals again to get a linear evelope. With all these steps the signals get changed in its shape. If you now would use different high and lowpass filter for MVC vs your exercise, this could cause errors.

Best
Ursula

Brandon Brown

Post by Brandon Brown » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:27 am

Hello Ursula,

Thank you so much for your advise on how to proceed. What you told me is also what my adviser told me, so that is the approach I will take.

Again, thanks for the help.

Brandon

bill hood

Post by bill hood » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:09 pm

I know that to normalize the signals I need to do a maximum voluntary contraction and use the maximum value obtained. My question is how do I filter the MVC signals? Do I filter them in the exact same way as I filtered the original signals obtained during the experiment?