building model via text editor

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Guanxin Jiang

building model via text editor

Post by Guanxin Jiang » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:32 am

Hello everyone,
Does somebody have the experience of build a .osim model only by text editor like Notepad++? I have tried to use OpenSim for two months, and i get stuck right now. I mean, without graphical modeling, i have to know every coordinate of every point on the bones and muscles. How can we get these datum from? From experiments? Same problem when i try to edit motion files, i need to know how big every kind of force is at every second? How could i make it possible? Any advise and complain is welcomed and will be humbly accepted! 8-) 8-)

jimmy d

Re: building model via text editor

Post by jimmy d » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:33 pm

I mean, without graphical modeling, i have to know every coordinate of every point on the bones and muscles.
You need to know the coordinates of frames, joints, and muscle attachments. People who build models start with many paper and pen calculations and then translate them to xml.
How can we get these datum from? From experiments?
From experiments and literature. You can also use ingenuity to build mechanisms that represent the structures you are trying to study.
Same problem when i try to edit motion files, i need to know how big every kind of force is at every second? How could i make it possible?
People typically collect experimental data (markers and external loads) to feed to the model. You can create your own data, but that is done by you, not by OpenSim. I use Matlab to create data and that I add to motion files for testing purposes.