Building OpenSim v3.3. from source, VS 2015

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
David John Saxby

Building OpenSim v3.3. from source, VS 2015

Post by David John Saxby » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:46 pm

Hi All,

I realize you have minimal time to support source builds, but here goes:

I built Simbody v3.5.3 from source on VS 2015 with CMake 3.6.0. No issues.

I downloaded OpenSim v3.3 source files from SimTk (why are they not on GitHub? Curious ;) ). CMake runs fine, VS does not. I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit.

This is the first error message (among many):

d:\opensim_v3.3-source\opensim\common\Array.h(343): fatal error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler

Has anyone seen this, and better yet anyone have a solution?

Best,

David Saxby

Dimitar Stanev

Re: Building OpenSim v3.3. from source, VS 2015

Post by Dimitar Stanev » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:41 am

Hi,

First of all, why do you build OpenSim v3.3 when you can link to the sdk folder in the installed version?
I downloaded OpenSim v3.3 source files from SimTk (why are they not on GitHub? Curious ;) ).
https://github.com/opensim-org/opensim-core/releases
d:\opensim_v3.3-source\opensim\common\Array.h(343): fatal error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler
It is difficult to deduce. Maybe it is VS installation problem. Try to follow the instructions:

Code: Select all

http://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:8080/display/OpenSim/Building+OpenSim+from+Source
or migrate to the newest OpenSim version from github master with superbuild on.

Best

David John Saxby

Post by David John Saxby » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:36 pm

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the suggestions.

In short, I wanted to build from source for giggles and because it should be doable.

As it stands, v4.0 will not work for some specific modelling software we use, but in the future perhaps.

It could be a VS 2015 issue. I built from source with VS 2013, so I may have to roll back the compiler.

Best,

DJS

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:33 am

Thanks Jim for responding.

David, I agree that you should be able to build 3.3 from sources and not be forced to upgrade to cutting edge under-development environment. Some gotcha however:

One of the reasons we published OpenSim 3.3 was compatibility with VS 2015 available at the time. Since then there were a few major upgrades/updates to VisualStudio 2015 that may have introduced or exposed bugs. If you're using the latest version/update it would be good to get to the bottom of the issue and find a workaround. We've seen bugs related to optimization(s), can you try building in Debug mode (so that optimizations are disabled)? Release with debug info may do the trick as well.

I'd make sure to follow the instructions on confluence very carefully (link below) and update as needed
http://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:80 ... rom+Source

Please let us know what you find.

Best regards,
-Ayman

Dimitar Stanev

Post by Dimitar Stanev » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:34 pm

Hi,

I managed to reproduce your error. The problem is in the new update of Visual Studio 2015 (update 3). Go you programs and features -> view installed updates and uninstall update 3. If you don't get it done, then remove VS and reinstall it without checking update 3.

Best

David John Saxby

Post by David John Saxby » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi All,

I tried Ayman's suggestions about non-release builds, but it did not work.

I re-made Simbody and OpenSim with VS 2013 compilers and now it works great.

I have not tried Jim's suggestion about the upgrades but it sounds about right.

Thanks all.

Happy to try any new versions that are full 2015 compatible or wait for OpenSim 4 in the future.

Best,

David