Using API (in c++) in Linux without building OpenSim/Simbody

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Mohammadhossein Saadatzi

Using API (in c++) in Linux without building OpenSim/Simbody

Post by Mohammadhossein Saadatzi » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:07 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to use a supercomputer available in our campus for accelerating predictive simulation bipedal walking optimizations. OS of this supercomputer is Linux, and for some reasons it is very difficult to install new software on it (for example the version of gcc on it is 4.4.7).

I'm just wondering if there is any document (or an example) available with explaining how to use API (c++) in Linux without building it from source.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Mohammad

Dimitar Stanev

Re: Using API (in c++) in Linux without building OpenSim/Simbody

Post by Dimitar Stanev » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:14 am

You can build OpenSim/Simbody in a separate machine and redistribute the binaries. Although you would have to resolve the .so interdependencies. I tried some time ago to build the two libraries statically, but there were some issues. If you manage to build them statically you would be able to redistribute OpenSim/Simbody easily. Although there is a catch, if you are going to use the API, you would have to compile your application in the separate machine also, because gcc is old or to use older version of the libraries. Note also that there are some other dependencies required by Simbody.

An alternative approach would be to prepare a docker, a small virtual image where you have everything setup.