Hunt Crossley Model : slow numerical integration

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Tom Van Wouwe

Hunt Crossley Model : slow numerical integration

Post by Tom Van Wouwe » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:28 am

Hi,

I noticed something happening in the Hunt Crossley Model that I can't understand completely. I have an adapted gait9musc18 model with 2 spheres in both feet and a half space in the ground as contact geometries. I am running a forward simulation with this model giving it some (random) activations for the muscles. At some point the integration starts going very slow/virtually stops. I tried to investigate the cause of this and I think it originates from a huge contact force - slowing down integration. When I look at my contactforces I noticed that they sometimes fall to zero, while the contactbodies are still in contact (visual control). I can't understand why this happens. Because there are no forces, the contact bodies sink into eachother. At a certain point a very large peak in the contact force shows, probably hampering the forward integration.

In the attachment I added my model, and a 2 files containing the states and force during the simulation.

A way to replicate the issue is to simulate a drop of the model in the GUI - If you let it "fall" from the maximum height (setting pelvis_y maximal) then the simulation gets stuck at some point.

Can someone explain the cause of this to me? I think I can avoid the issue by increasing the stiffness, but still I would like to understand the cause :).

Regards
Tom
Attachments
gait9dof18musc.osim
(153.35 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
HUNTCROSSLEYFAIL.zip
(274.25 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
HUNTCROSSLEYFORCE.mot.zip
(603.63 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

Dimitar Stanev

Re: Hunt Crossley Model : slow numerical integration

Post by Dimitar Stanev » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:56 pm

Hi,

You had a very high dissipation in your contact forces, that in combination with the stiffness caused this problem (see attached model). Please see the ToyDropLanding model (model folder) and the parameter that were used.
gait9dof18musc2.osim
(153.5 KiB) Downloaded 72 times