What is the difference between muscle activation and EMG?

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Hari S

What is the difference between muscle activation and EMG?

Post by Hari S » Tue May 23, 2017 11:45 pm

Hello
I was going through the paper by Darryl G. Thelen (Adjustment of Muscle Mechanics Model Parameters to simulate Dynamic Contractions in Older Adults 2003) and I noticed that muscle activation and EMG are different. Is it applicable to Opensim also?

Thank you

Thomas Uchida

Re: What is the difference between muscle activation and EMG?

Post by Thomas Uchida » Wed May 24, 2017 12:37 am

muscle activation and EMG are different. Is it applicable to Opensim also?
Yes. See, for example, Fig 2 in Hamner and Delp (2013) and the description thereof (Section 2.2, paragraph 2).

Hamner, S.R., Delp, S.L. (2013) Muscle contributions to fore-aft and vertical body mass center accelerations over a range of running speeds. Journal of Biomechanics 46:780–787. http://nmbl.stanford.edu/publications/p ... er2012.pdf

Hari S

Post by Hari S » Sat May 27, 2017 2:00 am

How can I compare Activation to EMG or can I convert Activation to EMG?

Thank you

Thomas Uchida

Post by Thomas Uchida » Sat May 27, 2017 1:41 pm

How can I compare Activation to EMG or can I convert Activation to EMG?
Even after rectifying, filtering, and normalizing, EMG will still differ from activation because of the time delay between excitation and force generation. You could shift EMG in time, or report as it is and recognize that the delay between EMG and activation is expected. I recommend reading the literature to see how this has been approached.